Caribou Gear

camo?

Great white buffalo

I am having a very hard time deciding on what brand and what to purchase. I hunt in central Oregon and SW Montana so I need something with a highdesert pattern. I bow and rifle, so it would be nice to have a light set for early season that I could use as layers under a set of shells top and bottom. I pack in on foot so it has to be backcountry quality. Here is the option I have narrowed it down to, feed back and advice would be appreciated thanks

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...381.uts?WTz_l=SBC;MMcat104791680;cat104748480

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...48480|104274180|104049180|&WTz_l=RI;IK-933835

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clot...ong-Sleeve-Top/1641289.uts?WTz_l=RI;IK-961579

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clot...ong-Sleeve-Top/1641289.uts?WTz_l=RI;IK-961579

If you are cheap like me you can usually find better deals if you are patient. Cabelas will have sales and places like linton outdoors and camofire.com have some good deals from time to time. Also don't be afraid to look on e-bay for used stuff. I buy quite a bit that way. Save your money for important things.

Check out kings cam and their desert shadow pattern. The bundle with pants , vest, ball cap, and beanie for $100 looks nice.

I've used Cabelas gear for a long time. The products they have introduced in the last couple of years just doesn't make the grade anymore IMO. I've started switching over to First Lite and prefer the ASAT camo. You can buy First Lite from Cabelas, just not in ASAT.

If your camo matches we are gonna make fun of you for being a newb.....

Find pieces that function first and get what ever pattern looks good to you. Don't over think it...

what company suggestion? and does that mean I should purchase separate sets for weather?

First lite, IBEX, Ice Breaker, KUIU, Sitka there are a bunch of companies out there, and some deals to find if you are patient....especially right now.

A 150-185 weight merino is a good first layer for all conditions, I then layer on something in the 230-250 range when it gets colder.

No way I'd ever wear a synthetic base layer again, I'd swap our your shirts for merino.

Agree with this statement, I've been switching out my clothing gear for Merino, I'll continue to do so until all complete, once you hunt in it you'll know why. For camo my go to is now First Lite & Kuiu.

The camo pattern you get on sale is the best one to have. Earth tone merino tops and $15 on sale pants do the trick.

This summer 3 cows came to a water hole while I was setting a camera up, they were inside 10yds for several minutes while my dad and I kept our gaze at their feet. Jeans and white and grey t-shirts... Camo patterns are for people.

Realtree max1 is good but it is bright till you wash it a couple of times but kings camo should have you covered either their desert shadow or the mountain variety. I like the open country from cabelas it blends well with dry desert conditions.

Thanks for all the advice from you who didn't say plaid or jeans. I think I am going to go with some of the predator fleece and their rain gear that should be versatile for any weather I figure.

In all seriousness, I seem to wear the microtex from cabelas the most over the years. It is soft and quiet.

In all seriousness, I seem to wear the microtex from cabelas the most over the years. It is soft and quiet

This if you're on a budget. I've been wearing the same pants and shirt for about 5 years now. It just won't wear out.

This if you're on a budget. I've been wearing the same pants and shirt for about 5 years now. It just won't wear out.

I will 3rd this --- pants are quiet, tough and comfy. Little base layer if ya like, and then you can throw rain gear over the top quick too.

Wasn't sure if your question was more about camo patterns or layers.

This article from Eastmans does a good job of discussing layers.

Camofire has their Element Jacket and Pants on the site right now.

$117 for the jacket and $110 for the pants. They are pretty good bang for the buck IMO.

The mountain mimicry pattern does pretty good in a lot of different places. Does great in the sage.

nathan_elk1.jpg

They are only on the site a little while though before the timer runs out.

P.S. - Also wear Kuiu and Sitka and like all of them. Core4 isn't quite as nice, but it isn't as expensive either. I would still say it is the best bang for the buck.

Last edited:
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back