PEAX Equipment

Camera to bring with while hunting

Shangobango

I am in the market for a camera that I can use when I need something lightweight and compact. I don’t know much about cameras. I have googled and searched here but I have questions.

Would I be better off starting with a good compact and then seeing if I want something with interchangeable lenses later for more photo specific trips?

I am eyeing a Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III.

What distances can I get decent pics at with that if I have it steady?

Are you more interested in landscape photos, portrait (after the shot), wildlife photography, or something that's okay at all of them? I think a bridge camera would come the closest to doing everything somewhat well without being a heavy DSLR with multiple lenses.

Are you more interested in landscape photos, portrait (after the shot), wildlife photography, or something that's okay at all of them? I think a bridge camera would come the closest to doing everything somewhat well without being a heavy DSLR with multiple lenses.
Looking for something general purpose for starters but would like something decent for wildlife.

If looking for wildlife,more than a phone can do, spend on the lense. Decent camera, good lense beats great camera poor lense

I had a Nikon A900 that was pretty small but took great pics. First photo is were around 7/10 of a mile according to GPS. Second is 300-400 yards. I say “ had “ because like a dummy I lost it in an airport or on a plane and lost and found never found it when I filed a report. EBE55442-145C-43C8-988F-2A9D94400E15.jpeg

Attachments

• 067B4ABA-2BC4-4CB0-BD02-656C9E612781.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
I have one of the cheaper Canon PowerShot versions that has a strong digital zoom, with the image stabilization I've had good luck with quick long range shots on wildlife with no tripod. Very fast and easy to use.

I bought a good Canon digital camera with a single lens that takes better pictures than I can. I also have a Nikon point and shoot for a compact camera, but it doesn’t seem to take as good of pictures as my previous Canon point and shoot cameras did.

I have them in a camera bag by my desk and they don’t go with me very often. I have found these new camera phones to take amazing pictures and as a result use it for most of my pictures.

If you look at Craig Miller’s pictures, you will see the difference a good camera makes and you will need something much better than a camera phone to do that.

Me, however, I have found that my camera phone and a phoneskope work well and still covers most of any picture taking I do. The first is a sunrise with the camera phone for a landscape photo, the second is a picture through the phoneskope attachment to a Leica 15-45 televid spotting scope of 2 moose at 1000 yards and the third is a close up with the camera phone that does show how versatile it really is...

9818DDB9-5F46-4508-98F1-6C7F154BCD33.jpegEFE84E08-2A2C-4571-BECD-91BC0B3E646A.jpeg13E174F5-6C02-4E05-83B7-0E4B975105BC.jpeg

Phone is the answer. There are small tripods that hold the phone so you can take pic with timer.

I wanted a camera for similar purposes, but even more compact than the G1 model you're looking at. I ended up with a Canon PowerShot SX740 HS and have been pleased with the results.

I use my phone camera for a lot of shots, but wanted a camera with optical zoom for wildlife and other smaller subjects I couldn't get close to.

Here are some sample photos. The elk photo was taken from about 300 yards away.

Attachments

• IMG_0487.jpg
    IMG_0487.jpg
    900.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0691.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Depends on what your doing out there. I used to go t field trials to tke photo's of dog. Always carried a DSLR but I guarantee you, carrying one hunting is futile! Thing are simply to large, even small ones. I started looking at point and shoots to carry bird hunting and I don't care for the screen to view with but keep the sun off it and it's fine. Two best I've found, no longer made were a Nikon coolpix s6900 and presently a CanonSX730HS. A bit bigger than the Nikon but fit's in a case on my belt and out of the way. The zoom on my Nikon went bad or I'd never have tried the Canon, On the canon the lens cover is messed up but nothing I can't live with. They both take very nice photo's! This was taken with the Canon.
c21lYuVl.jpg

Not sure but think this was with the Nikon.
ch3gK3Xl.jpg

If I'm packing as light as I can, actually hunting, anymore I settle for the phone in my pocket. It can take decent photos:
ry0bdzph.jpg

If I'm really seeking out wildlife photo opportunities, I take the Olympus OM-D, with a 75-300 Zuiko lens. It's still rather compact and easily fits in my day pack:
463I0bCh.jpg

ZEqBpyBh.jpg

Regards, Guy

Thanks for all the replies. The camera on my Iphone X is not cutting it. It is fine for landscapes and clise up stuff but fails miserably when needing zoom. I need something with optical zoom.

I am looking at the Canon Powershot lineup.

Reactions: Guy
Phone + phone skope is a good option if you are already carrying a spotter.

I have a Nikon P510 that is very good for carrying in the field and getting occasional widlife photos. This is a few years old now, but there are others that provide similar zoom capabilities with updated camera innards.

This is what I ended up with:

FA2B4CA1-E2A6-422E-B0D3-A4820509FBAA.jpegIf I catch the photography bug I can see myself getting aomething that I can change lenses on.

Knowing me, I probably will.

That's going to be easy to carry, and can produce some real nice photos. Enjoy! :)

I just might have a 10+ year old predecessor to it. Canon makes good cameras.

Guy

I have a friend in Montana that shoots wildlife photography all around the world, and takes really amazing pictures. He likes to say "You'd never ask Picasso what paintbrush he uses!" haha

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SubSpider
Back