Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Cabela's T.A.G.S vs. Self

turfdawg25

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am just looking to get some information from anyone willing to help me out. I'm from Mississippi and I'v never been out west on any type of hunt. This next year my brother and I would love to do a public land hunt for pronghorn or mule deer. I'v started looking into what it takes to apply for tags and the reallity of actually getting drawn for a tag.

My questions are:
1. Should I apply for tags myself or go through Cabelas?
2. What state is the easiest to get a tag in? Although I love taking huge trophy animals, I am looking for the experience more than taking a huge animal.

Thanks, and any information is helpful because like I said this is all new to me.[/SIZE]

Welcome to the forum.

My opinion is that if you can afford to apply yourself, then do that rather than going through Cabelas. Although you are new at the game and have less to lose (you haven't acquired any points yet), Cabelas has made at least two major mistakes in the last three years or so that has cost their clients dearly. About three years ago, they submitted the incorrect amount of money with non-resident Colorado sheep applications. Two years ago they submitted a large number of Arizona non-resident elk applications after the deadline. Those people lost their bonus points for that year as well as their loyalty bonus points.

I only trust myself to do my applications, that way I only have myself to blame if they are messed up. Good luck.

Ps - Don't take application advice from forum member Schmalts. His track record isn't so good. ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Ps - Don't take application advice from forum member Schmalts. His track record isn't so good. ;)

Yea, what he said, or you can try his new service he is starting up that competes with T.A.G.S. He is going to call it "Fur, Antlers, Gills, Service" or F.A.G.S.
Welcome to the boards, as you see we do have a tendency to poke fun once in a while

Back