Bulletproof Drop-Away Rest?

emrah1028

So i've always shot a whisker biscuit never a drop away. The wb's have always been "accurate enough" for me, but I'm going to be needing a new rest for a hunting bow soon and am considering a drop away. Thinking Rip Cord or QAD HDX.

Are these dead-nuts reliable? Do they get tangled up in leaves, cattails, brush, etc? How about when it's cold, snowy and drizzly out?

I live in minnesota and any rest on any of my bows must meet all those requirements, be full-capture and completely trouble free.

So what are your thoughts? Would love some feedback from actual users who've used them in similar conditions.

Thanks,

Emrah

I've been using the trophy taker pronghorn for the last 5 years and have never had a problem with it. If you ever plan on leaving your bow on top of your pickup and letting it fly off going 70 mph, the trophy taker will still be functioning.

The one I have isn't full capture, but I think they have a model that is.

I have never had a problem with brush, but I can't think of any rest that would tangled very easily.

I am a believer of the QAD and many other hunters I know have it as well. Seems that there is not much different between the rip cord and QAD its all personal opinion I do believe.

Check out the Schaffer opposition. Best rest I've ever shot. Simple, accurate and locks into the riser to ensure it doesn't move.

Had the same dilemma two years ago. Switched to the QAD and no complaints. One of those decisions where you cannot go wrong choosing from these two.

I shoot a Rip Cord on my X-force and absolutely love it, my son has a Trophy Taker on his Razor Edge and it's been great the year he's had it. Rip Cord has been through Idaho tangle, snow, etc without a problem but I always try to protect it and my sight.

The WB is a great rest with sometimes a bad rep for accuracy but I shot one for years practicing way beyond my hunting range with good results. Killed a few bulls with it and never had to think about it failing. Where I've seen issues with WB accuracy has been someone torqueing the bow and having contact along the whole arrow will show that flaw.

You won't go wrong the the QAD or Rip Cord.

I love my QAD ultra rest. For hunting situations they are top of the line.

I love my QAD also. The shop owner recommended it over the rip cord due to the fact that the launcher stays in the up position if you let down and you can change the cord without taking it apart like the rip cord. Just my 2 cents. Robin

Another vote for Trophy Taker. I've been shooting one of Dan's rests since he was selling them in a ziplock bag with type written instructions inside, and that rest still sits on my Dad's bow and functions as well as the day I first shot it. Bomb proof.

I've really liked the consistency of the limb driver rest I have on my mathews. I would recommend adding some felt to keep the noise down on the draw, but performance from it has been awesome. MN based company out of Ham Lake too, so thats a plus.

Our customers have been very pleased with the new QAD HDX rest.

But for me, I the Hamskea Full Containment Versa Rest on one bow and the Trophy Taker X-Treme on the other bow.

Neither are pretty, but both are built bomber and tune very easily!

Well, just to update, I ended up getting a used Ripcord Code Red from Archery Talk. Put it on my Elite Pure, took about 30 shots and decided drop-aways are not for me!

Nothing wrong with it. It worked perfectly. Seem pretty bulletproof. But.... I just didn't like the extra step of having to flip up the arrow rest "v" thingy. I know, seems trivial, but I that or the fact I had to re-flip the rest up every time I let down. It shot great for me, but it definitely didn't seem to "improve" my groups. Maybe with more shooting, who knows.

Anyway, it's back to the good-old Whisker Biscuit for me. So, if anyone wants an excellent-condition Ripcord for $55 tyd (that's what I paid on AT), then pm me. The cord length is 5.5" when not extended.

Emrah

P.S. I'll probably list this in the For Sale section as well.

Attachments

• IMG_20130502_124933.jpg
    IMG_20130502_124933.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 913
  • IMG_20130502_125009.jpg
    IMG_20130502_125009.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 901
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member