Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bullet Preference 300 Win. Mag.

Thanks putm, native. I do it when I can recover em. Here's the most recent. The unfired 180 accubond signifies the first shot that missed....fate had the second round in the mag as the sole 180 TSX dark mag loaded. I also let em keep their ivories...glue them back in.

photo-15.jpg

No question that shot placement is the key to a good, clean, ethical shot. But I also know that some bullets are better suited to that "good, clean, ethical" shot. Apparently from the above posts, the ballistic tips may not be the best choice. Thanks guys!

No question that shot placement is the key to a good, clean, ethical shot. But I also know that some bullets are better suited to that "good, clean, ethical" shot. Apparently from the above posts, the ballistic tips may not be the best choice. Thanks guys!

The 180gr Ballistic Tips are pretty tough -- and much tougher than they used to be when they earned a reputation for being too soft.

At 300 mag velocities (around 3000 fps) they should be fine.

I wouldn't advise a lighter one in a 300 mag though.

The 180gr Ballistic Tips are pretty tough -- and much tougher than they used to be when they earned a reputation for being too soft.

At 300 mag velocities (around 3000 fps) they should be fine.

I wouldn't advise a lighter one in a 300 mag though.

I don't know when they changed the Ballistic tips but I used to shoot the Nosler 180gr BT in my 300 win, handloaded fairly stiff and they were incredible deer slayers at close or long distance. But the 2 elk I shot with them were either shot in the scapula or just behind it in the ribs and when found after a several hundred yards tracking and were bedded and sick with only one lung destroyed. One was shot at around 180 yards and the other was closer to 400 yards, but neither of them had any real damage to the offside lung and certainly no damage to the offside inner rib cage, one was a average 5x5 and the other a average cow. This was last I ever shot them out of the gun at elk. This was probably 1995 and 96. If they are different now, well then maybe they would work, but I could never recommend them for elk.

I don't know when they changed the Ballistic tips but I used to shoot the Nosler 180gr BT in my 300 win, handloaded fairly stiff and they were incredible deer slayers at close or long distance. But the 2 elk I shot with them were either shot in the scapula or just behind it in the ribs and when found after a several hundred yards tracking and were bedded and sick with only one lung destroyed. One was shot at around 180 yards and the other was closer to 400 yards, but neither of them had any real damage to the offside lung and certainly no damage to the offside inner rib cage, one was a average 5x5 and the other a average cow. This was last I ever shot them out of the gun at elk. This was probably 1995 and 96. If they are different now, well then maybe they would work, but I could never recommend them for elk.

They've been slowly tweaking them over the years. Supposedly on their 7th generation now

This has turned out to be very interesting. I do not re-load so, if you were buying off the shelf for the 2013 season?
Same recommendations as all of them are available in one form or another of factory ammo. Whether or not that ammo shoots well in your rifle...

This has turned out to be very interesting. I do not re-load so, if you were buying off the shelf for the 2013 season?

My absolute, hands-down, all-around favorite bullet for any rifle is the Nosler Accubond. Winchester and Federal load them.

I really like the Nosler 168 and 180gr BT and the 165 and 200gr AB.
Anymore I use nothing but the 180gr BT out of my 300 RUM. Works great at close and long range.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back