Bull Elk mounting process

This is awesome, cool to see how much attention to detail it takes to do good taxidermy. Thanks for sharing the progress

Your son is a lucky guy! Both in the fact that you are his dad, plus you are able to do this for him. Please keep us up to date as this project moves along. Is this going to be the best of the best?

The ears have been turned inside out and and the cartilage removed. Each of the ear liners is trimmed to the size and shape of the cartilages. Then each liner is epoxied inside each ear. Note that this bull has a big split in one of his ears.
image.jpg

This is awesome. I've tinkered with deer some. Working on a mallard right now.

Mike I have a question. My buddy caped out my bull from this yr (I was on a business trip). His wife was screaming at him over the phone telling to get his butt home so his work wasn't the best. There are little nicks (5) in the cape around the nose nothing bigger than a pencil eraser (some smaller) Is this something I should be concerned about? The reason it worried me was because there’s no long hair in the areas to cover it up.

This is awesome. I've tinkered with deer some. Working on a mallard right now.

Mike I have a question. My buddy caped out my bull from this yr (I was on a business trip). His wife was screaming at him over the phone telling to get his butt home so his work wasn't the best. There are little nicks (5) in the cape around the nose nothing bigger than a pencil eraser (some smaller) Is this something I should be concerned about? The reason it worried me was because there’s no long hair in the areas to cover it up.

The fact that the nicks are small should make it fairly easy to sew them up in a way that won't show. I understand your concern about having nicks in spots with very little hair to cover your work. Worst case, one or two of them may show a little but most likely be passed off as natural blemishes.

LuckyMike, sure looks like you know what you are doing! thanks for sharing. It's amazing the art that goes into making an excellent mount. Looking forward to what the end result will look like

Sewing up the back of the neck with 1/2" stitches. It's a close fit and I'm making sure that the hide is laying smoothly against the form with no folds or wrinkles. You might be interested that I'm using large, waxed dental floss for this kind of sewing.

image.jpg

He is mounted but not finished. Everything needs to dry, which will take several days. During the drying time I will be making sure that the hide doesn't pull away from low spots (drumming) and I'll work to groom the hair to lay the way I want it. After it's thoroughly dry I'll do the finish work to complete the mount. I'll post more and better pictures then.

image.jpg

Back