Buddy want to get his first Bull Elk in AZ

2rocky

A Wisco native I train with wants to expand his hunting horizons beyond whitetails and wants to shoot a bull elk, with a rifle in a unit in the Flagstaff region. He has asked me to help him in this quest and none of us have any points. I have the Regs and I'm looking for some clarification on some of the things...

What is up with the (Hopi) listed on some of the units. Are these reservation hunts?

Any units better suited to having Horses? Travel mgmt areas, Wilderness etc...We got 'em

Late Season hunts would be nice .

Not looking to bank points for any longer than necessary. Let's go huntin'...

Throw a dart at any of the units in a line from Flagstaff, along the Mogollon Rim, over to the New Mexico border. All of them can be drawn with zero points in the late hunt, if you get lucky. Obviously, more points help, but every year some NRs draws with zero points. Early or archery hunts being a different story. I know that is not very specific, but for the most part, you will have a good hunt in any of those units.

Horses would really help in covering a lot of that pinion-juniper country. And to get them out of the hell holes they seem to live in once the late seasons start.

Good luck.

I think most units will take 4-6 points to draw unless you luck out in the random...

A couple things that will shorten the wait is to take the hunters ed class in AZ that gives you a point for life for all species. Loyalty point for 5 consecutive years of applications for the same species also is pretty nice. I havent went into a drawing in AZ with less than 2 points for a long, long time. Thats a huge advantage and shortens the waiting time a bunch.

Best case you draw in the random this year, worst case it will take 5-6 years to draw in the max point pool (depending on the area you apply for).

Oh and one more thing...How do the Choices work?

If drawn they go down the list of your choices or
Draw 1st choice, then Second choice etc?

Oh and one more thing...How do the Choices work?

If drawn they go down the list of your choices or
Draw 1st choice, then Second choice etc?

They look at your first two choices, then move on. When applying for most rifle bull tags, not much need to put more than 2 choices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back