Bubble float fly fishing

PFUNK

Looking for some advice on how to pull this method off most effectively. I will be taking a backpacking trip up into the rattlesnake wilderness this coming weekend and plan to do a lot of fishing on the mountain lakes up there. I do not have fly fishing gear, but have been reading up on using the bubble float with a spinning rod in order to fish flies. I have a few questions for you guys who are more experienced in this area than I am.

1. Will the swivel be too heavy for small dry flies and cause them to sink? A gentleman at the sporting goods store recommended I use small (size 16-20 I think) flies like the mosquito, ant, and adams. Seems like the swivel may sink them, but I am not sure.

2. Are there any flies you would recommend for this area and time of year? The lakes are all around 6500-7000 feet if that matters any.

3. Any other advice is appreciated. I am new to this but I really think it could help land more fish than throwing a spinner might. Thanks!

Not sure exactly how you are rigging, and not sure why you even need a swivel?

Depending on what works for you, the bubble will keep the leader and the fly at or near the surface.
Tie the bubble to the swivel, and then it won't. This is a pretty simple/forgiving method of fishing, don't overthink it, just make it work how you want it to. Even skip the swivel and just put a thread on it like you do for bobber fishing on steelhead.

My experience in high mountain lakes with a spinning rod and a fly on a bubble is that the fish don't care what fly they see, they will eat anything that is even close to them. I don't know about 20's, as you likely won't be able to see it as far as you can cast your spinning rod, so, you miss that part of the fun. Take a bunch of different flies and see what works, I always keep a few Renegades with me for when all the "great ideas" don't work, and I want to catch fish.

Good luck, it should be fun.

Not sure exactly how you are rigging, and not sure why you even need a swivel?

Depending on what works for you, the bubble will keep the leader and the fly at or near the surface.
Tie the bubble to the swivel, and then it won't. This is a pretty simple/forgiving method of fishing, don't overthink it, just make it work how you want it to. Even skip the swivel and just put a thread on it like you do for bobber fishing on steelhead.

My experience in high mountain lakes with a spinning rod and a fly on a bubble is that the fish don't care what fly they see, they will eat anything that is even close to them. I don't know about 20's, as you likely won't be able to see it as far as you can cast your spinning rod, so, you miss that part of the fun. Take a bunch of different flies and see what works, I always keep a few Renegades with me for when all the "great ideas" don't work, and I want to catch fish.

Good luck, it should be fun.

From what I have seen, the bubble floats are clear plastic with a tube running through the middle that you pass your line through. Once your line is passed through, you tie a small swivel. To the other end of the swivel, you tie a leader to your fly. I figured that unless you kept your line very taught, with the swivel up against the bubble float, the swivel may sink some and bring the fly down with it. I like the idea of using a bead and bobber stop as opposed to the swivel though. That should work just fine. Thought of one more question that may sound dumb but I will ask it anyway considering I have never fished flies.... when you tie the fly on, does it matter which way you pass the line through the eye? I thought it may make a difference in how the fly sits in the water and want to make sure I have it right. Good to hear the fish should eat just about anything.... we are planning on eating a lot of fish so if they don't cooperate we may get a little hungry.

From what I have seen, the bubble floats are clear plastic with a tube running through the middle that you pass your line through. Once your line is passed through, you tie a small swivel. To the other end of the swivel, you tie a leader to your fly. I figured that unless you kept your line very taught, with the swivel up against the bubble float, the swivel may sink some and bring the fly down with it. I like the idea of using a bead and bobber stop as opposed to the swivel though. That should work just fine. Thought of one more question that may sound dumb but I will ask it anyway considering I have never fished flies.... when you tie the fly on, does it matter which way you pass the line through the eye? I thought it may make a difference in how the fly sits in the water and want to make sure I have it right. Good to hear the fish should eat just about anything.... we are planning on eating a lot of fish so if they don't cooperate we may get a little hungry.

We used to fish in those lakes quite a bit. Like Jose said, if they're hitting flies it really won't matter what it is, they'll go for anything.

I always did good with mepps spinner and little rapalas. There's some pretty stout cutthroats up there if you hit the right lakes.

Always used a bubble which you could dislodge the tapered tube, add some water inside for casting weight, lock the pin and tie a small stainless barrel swivel to your line, To the other end of the swivel attach a tapered leader which goes down to 2 or 2.5 #. On the end of that add a very small stainless fly hook so you don't have to keep retying different flies and eating away at your leader tip. Grey hackle with peacock always was a good standby.

You old semi-duffer! Sure we are brothers? How did you end up in Arkie land? That's how dad 'splained it to bro and I.

Always used a bubble which you could dislodge the tapered tube, add some water inside for casting weight, lock the pin and tie a small stainless barrel swivel to your line, To the other end of the swivel attach a tapered leader which goes down to 2 or 2.5 #. On the end of that add a very small stainless fly hook so you don't have to keep retying different flies and eating away at your leader tip. Grey hackle with peacock always was a good standby.

You old semi-duffer! Sure we are brothers? How did you end up in Arkie land? That's how dad 'splained it to bro and I.

Semi hell! I turned 69 last Thursday. I've been getting mail offering hearing aids for several years and for Hoverounds for a couple years now. The first time someone shows up trying to sell cemetery plots, someone's gonna get a load of 7 1/2's in their duff.

You absolutely kill me!!!!! I thought you were a youngen'. I will be 64 on Thursday. Too bad we are so far away from each other. Just thinking we could do some damage to something( or not) other than BS stories. Still have family in Mountain Home. You JUST never know.......

Semi hell! I turned 69 last Thursday. I've been getting mail offering hearing aids for several years and for Hoverounds for a couple years now. The first time someone shows up trying to sell cemetery plots, someone's gonna get a load of 7 1/2's in their duff.

Take tarheels advice on the bubble...and you only need to take one fly pattern...in about 3 sizes and 3 colors.

Take a good supply of #8, #10, and #12 teeny nymph's in black, natural, and insect green pheasant tail...doesnt matter if its lake, river, or crick, the fish will be waving a white flag in short order.

If it were me, I'd order some of Jim Teeny's custom nymph hooks, as they "make" the fly. You can do a google search on his company and order the tail feathers as well...in all the colors I mentioned. Click on the materials/fly link:

http://www.jimteeny.com/indexMain.html?content=dealers&page=dealers/dealersMap.html

A third grader can tie them and on the cheap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C_R5S3bQ_I

I've been using them for over 30 years, and they have no rival with a casting bubble, period.

Thank me later.

Last edited:

Used to fish exactly that way in my younger days. Like Jose said, it doesn't make much difference about the fly but I would use a coachman trude, grey hackle peacock or a renegade and always caught fish.

Thanks for all the advice guys. We will be gearing up this week and heading out friday. I will try to post some pictures when we're back... hopefully of a bunch of fish.

Believe it, or not, Jose actually had some very good advice. Can't wait until we head to OR this weekend and slay some brookies, flour and fry in a tad of bacon grease.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back