Broadheads

Barnesnbow

Anyone got experience with the grim reaper hades. I am thinking about trying them for elk this season.

I just got a pack of the 3 blade micro hades in the mail. I haven't tried them yet. I've only ever used grim reaper razor tip expandable but want to find something else in case I go to Idaho this year. I've shot Reapers for the last 7 years. I'm guessing they won't disappoint. I will let you know though.

I've only seen one used on an elk. Last year my buddy put one into a mature 6x6 at 30 yards using and old "slow" bow and an arrow I consider way to light. Good broad side double lung shot. Broad head passed through to other side. Vanes stopped arrow from passing through. Elk went 30 yards and down.

Montec G-5 one piece machined stainless steel.

Breaks shoulders and cuts pass throughs like a Lazer beam. Then you pick it up , wipe it off and shoot something else with it.
Easily resharpened when needed.

Rocky Mountain Titanium were my go to until they were discontinued. Now I use Solids for elk and either Swacker or Rage for whitetail. The Solids are 40$ per head now, which to me is insane. I'm debating selling the Solids and going with DRT, Shuttle T, or Slick Trick. Monotech and Hellrazor also have my interest. Trying new broadheads is stressful! I am shooting a Mathews switchback xt at 70lbs. From the heads I am debating, does anyone have a strong opinion or experience ? I have never had any broadhead "fly like a field point" and I have tuned and had my bow tuned multiple times. Please don't suggest a newer bow as the old girl still slings arrows fine haha

I've had really good luck with the qad exodus. They fly the best of any broadhead I've ever tried, never killed an elk with one but they are built extremely tough. Drove through the shoulder of a whitetail this past season like hot butter. I would imagine they would penitrate well on elk, check them out.

Rocky Mountain Titanium were my go to until they were discontinued. Now I use Solids for elk and either Swacker or Rage for whitetail. The Solids are 40$ per head now, which to me is insane. I'm debating selling the Solids and going with DRT, Shuttle T, or Slick Trick. Monotech and Hellrazor also have my interest. Trying new broadheads is stressful! I am shooting a Mathews switchback xt at 70lbs. From the heads I am debating, does anyone have a strong opinion or experience ? I have never had any broadhead "fly like a field point" and I have tuned and had my bow tuned multiple times. Please don't suggest a newer bow as the old girl still slings arrows fine haha

Check your PM's :cool:

I shot Shuttle T's for many years. Loved them! They were brutal on everything I hit with them. My recent bow didn't like them as good as my old Slick Tricks, so I switched back to them. I shoot the 125 grain magnums. They are also pretty brutal. At 60 yards they hit within an inch or so of my field tips. The shuttle T's did as well out of my old Z7. You can't go wrong with either head.

Whoa! I shoot the Solids but guess it has been a while since I purchased a pack. I believe I was picking them up for $60-70 not the absurd price of $129. Guess I am officially looking to switch to a new fixed head. Bummer!

So I played around with those micro Hades and they are flying excellent out to 80 yds. They got a little wild at 90 but I will shoot that distance again as I might of had some fatigue going on by that time. At 90 I had it blow through a 18-1 target and a 5 gallon bucket. I found the arrow 15 yds back in line with contact. They are not an louder than the expandable either.
Just a review as I know these are pretty new and I couldn't find any other reviews out there.

I believe a good shot is more critical than what blade. It's all marketing. If it works for you "it will kill". The native americans used sharpened rocks and homemade equipment and got the job done. The one thing I will shy away from and never use are expandables. Too many moving parts and things that can go wrong. With that said I have been shooting the Carbon Express fixed blade F-15. That may change as I no longer shoot CE arrows. Wanted to go with a smaller diameter and heavier arrow than they offered. I lean towards anything that flies well. Then fixed blade. Then cut on contact.

The Dirtnap heads are pretty cool and I like the collar that allows you to shoot an extra 25 grains with the same head. With that I don't think they are very durable. They have a life time warranty and it is good I have used it. I killed 2 does with them a few years back. Each head blade was significantly nicked up after going through the deer and hitting dirt.

The Magnus Hornet is really similar and thicker head that I switched to the year I was using the DRT's because of durability. I shot those through a few does and you couldn't tell they hit anything.

I wouldn't hesitate to use the Dirtnaps again but I just wanted to give my experience with them.

Hey brother, I have shot DRT, ST, Montecs, & Hellrazors. Here is my feedback on each.
-Montecs just aren't that sharp and I think many folks find that that don't get sharp enough, but solid well made head other the than that.

-Hellrazors are sharp but they break fairly routinely where the blades meet the ferrule. I had 3 break before I stopped using them.

-DRT are fairly sharp out of the pack but really need a little more to hunt IMO and the adjustable weight feature is nice, but myself and a buddy of mine had blades chipping and bending a little too easy for my liking. Now DRT did replace all of the heads no prob but I would just rather not have to return so many heads.

-ST are razor sharp right out of the pack and I have grown to like swapping blades for practice and hunting rather than resharpening. 1 min to swap blades and they are 100% razor sharp, and the price is pretty good as well. Downside to them for me is the exit wound size was fairly small and faint blood trails on the 3 animals I've shot, although they were all passthroughs and the tip was undamaged. So they did their job and accuracy for a fixed blade is good, but it's a give and take with exit wound/bloodtrail IMO

-Magnus Black Hornet ser razor is another in this class to consider. sharp blades, compact design, 100% warranty, made in USA, I just haven't shot any animals to give feedback, but I like the head based on the design, quality and other factors mentioned.

Hope this is helpful unbiased feedback, as I don't have a dog in the race just genuine experience with each head.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back