Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Bows for women

mthillrunner

Hi all, I'm looking at input for a bow for my wife. She has rifle hunted a little for cow elk and enjoyed it. I took her out with me this fall and she had a blast & now wants to bow hunt elk. She has no desire to hunt anything but elk (as of now). She doesn't like to eat much wild game but prefers elk to beef. So, I am looking for input on decent bows for women. As she's never shot a bow, my thinking is a bow with greater draw weight adjustability would be a good idea, start with low draw weight to avoid bad habits and slowly increase. Any input and first hand knowledge would be much appreciated. Thanks

The Mission Craze by Matthews would be worth taking a look at. Great adjustability and could even be used as your back up bow.

I would buy as good of bow as you can afford. Most any bow can be purchased with draw length and weight that will fit a woman. Take her to a archery shop and have her shoot several models that have been adjusted to fit her. She will find the one she likes.

I started out my wife with a Diamond Razor edge bow. When we shot at or archery league she improved consistently and then hit a plateau at about 260 / 300. She was getting frustrated that she wasn't getting better scores and asked for a new bow that was a little higher end. We ended up getting her a Hoyt Maxxis 35 with a 40-50lb draw. We got it sighted in and the first round at league she shot she scores 286. She has shot several rounds that are in the mid 290's.

my girlfriend has the Mission Flare and she loves it!
But unfortunately she has been whuppin my butt with it ever since she loves it! At least now with my awesome new Bowtech I can finally beat her again!!!!

My wife had a Hoyt Ruckus and we recently got her a new Hoyt Factor 30. She loved her Ruckus, but it was a little slow especially for larger animals such as Elk. She loves the Factor, but I did have to get a second set of limbs because Hoyts are about 5 pounds heavier than advertised so a 40-50lb bow is more like a 45-55lb bow.

Just purchased a Hoyt Charger in the Vicxen package. It's purtty and she shoots it well. I took her down to the bow shot to shoot a number of bows and thought she might gravitate to a more expensive new model bow but she really liked the feel of the Charger. It's a great bow for under $500. The fact that you can get it with pink string, stopper, dampeners and trim is a bonus.

The bow shop that I just bought my bow at was a husband-wife run shop. My wife came with me to get my bow and as the husband was fitting my bow to me my wife was chatting with the other wife. They got to talking and what has really got my wife fired up about wanting to get a bow sometime in the future is that the woman told her that she could come in and shoot all the different bows and get pointers and help from the woman bowshop owner instead of the man. I think that got some buy-in for my wife to want to start shooting a bow. While this may not help you figure out what bow to get, if your wife is at all uncomfortable talking with big, bad, experienced bow guys (similar to talking to car guys at the auto shop) it may benefit her to go to a bow shop where a woman works.

Really you gotta get her into a shop and let her shoot. Whatever feels good to her is what you go with. Seriously, the grips change across bows and those subtle things do affect what we all think about bows. That being said, I give thumbs up for the Mathews Chill SDX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back