Bowhunting Success-Illinois Whitetail

Welp, that makes one of us! I hunt 5 minutes down the road on a buddies little 8 acre property and don't even have time to get into any of my stands. Great job man! Hopefully I'll have similar results here in the next week or so. I put in for leave and told the wife to have fun during the 3 day holiday weekend. Were you with an outfitter? Rut activity?

Very nice buck, congrats! I hope to find one like that in the next couple of weeks. The rut should be starting to heat up...

Welp, that makes one of us! I hunt 5 minutes down the road on a buddies little 8 acre property and don't even have time to get into any of my stands. Great job man! Hopefully I'll have similar results here in the next week or so. I put in for leave and told the wife to have fun during the 3 day holiday weekend. Were you with an outfitter? Rut activity?

No outfitter, private ground.

nice buck. how close to rend lake were you? see the oaks are dropping their acorns over there, also. what is it about southern illinois deer and their brows? would like to see one with big brows. congrats.

I was hunting East of Benton about 10 miles. Not far from Rte. 14, a couple miles west of Hamilton Co.

Nice buck!

Honest question, how cold was it? I shot my buck this last saturday and it was in the 50's and I felt like I had to gut & cape him and get him cooling as quickly as possible.

Do whitetail do better when not cooled as quick?

Part of the reason I'm asking, I'm going to MS later this month for a WT hunt.

Low temps were in the low 30's. Usually I gut my deer immediately. This one I did first thing the following morning for other reasons. The meat was fine. After gutting, I wouldn't be afraid to hang one with temps reaching low 50's, but if it gets warmer than that, I would want to take care of it immediately. I'm not sure how whitetail vs. muley changes things.

Nice buck!

Honest question, how cold was it? I shot my buck this last saturday and it was in the 50's and I felt like I had to gut & cape him and get him cooling as quickly as possible.

Do whitetail do better when not cooled as quick?

Part of the reason I'm asking, I'm going to MS later this month for a WT hunt.

Zach, In my opinion. . .gut the animal asap, regardless of the temps. Normally we then hang and rinse to help cool too. My Dad shot a nice 10 on Sunday morning and even though we had frost, we still hosed it out and then dad put ice on it ( a little bit of over kill. . .I was down at his house yesterday and still had some ice in the bag laying out by the barn)! Its been really cool all week here.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back