Boots

Several hunting partners wear Solomon boots for early season and I think that's the way I'll head soon. I see them on sale regularly. Hopefully Ross sees this post and will chime in on the model of boots they wear.

They are the Salomon Quest 4d GTX. I have about 4 years on my current pair; which definitely puts over 500 miles on their odometer, and they have held up well. I do switch to Kenetrek 400s once it gets cold and snowy. They have done everything from antelope to mountain goat to packing moose quarters. The foam in the heel seems like it is starting to wear down, so I am starting to feel the rocks in the arch of my foot, so I might be picking up a new pair soon. Your mileage may certainly vary.....

If you happen to be military/law enforcement/firefighter/forest service/etc, check out Promotive, they have some good boot brands on there to include Salomon.

Last edited:
www.shoebuy.com. If you create an account they will send you a 30% off code sooner or later. I got my Lowa Tibets for around $270. Not quite Danner price but still doable.

You can never spend too much on boots. I would argue that coming from PA that good boots are critical. Would hate to drive almost 2000 miles and be sidelined after a couple days due to torn up feet. Buy a good boot and they will last you a lifetime. I really like my Lowa's. I'd like to know where folks are buying their Lowa's if they are lumping them into the same category as Danners.

Ive always bought my shoes and boots with them. Usually 25-30% off and free shipping. Unfortunately theyve decided within the last year that salomon no longer qualifies for the discount. Thatll be good if they havent gone that route with the Lowas

I've historically had a lot of trouble with hikers. My feet are goofy - very wide, high insteps, and one's about a half size bigger than the other. I actually just wear a pair of running shoes as long as I can get away with it, almost through bow season most years. Most hiking boots I've ever had took the hide right off my feet after a couple miles. I went to REI and discussed this problem with their folks. After a lot of measuring and trying different things, they got me in a pair of Keens that do me pretty good. I want to say I dropped about $150 on them. They're not as comfortable as my joggers but they get the job done. My feet are just not built for hiking boots, I'm afraid.

Lathrop & Sons just put out a new boot today that looks pretty bad ass. My feet changed/got wider since I bought my last pair so I may need to purchase a new set this summer.

I hunt in a pair of Cabela's house brand I got on sale a couple of years ago. Been everywhere in them - elk, deer, oryx hunting. They held up well for under a hundred. In the military I wear Rockys. A little more expensive, but comfortable and reliable. I will probably buy some rockys when I replace my Cabela's house brand. I also have a pair of LL Bean hunting boots but I'm not sure if I'd elk hunt in them.

I went "cheap" for my first pair of hunting boots (Cabela's Ironridge $119) and have regretted it. Started searching around, and used this forum to confirm what I've read elsewhere. Found a site that regularly gives 25% off Lowa boots. So when they ahoy me a 30% off email I couldn't pass that up for a pair of Lowa Tibet GTX. Night and day difference in dit and feel. Same size 12EE boot, but the construction of the Lowa just feels so much better on me.

Lathrop & Sons just put out a new boot today that looks pretty bad ass.

I saw those. Sure would be worth a try if my Zamberlans weren't only 2 years old. May have to go check them out anyway since I work in same community as their office. I used Lathrop & Sons fit system on the 2 pair of Zamberlans I own and all I can say is that Steven did a great job.

1) You should be prepared to spend good money on boots, but don't get hung up on a specific brand before you get fitted
2) You should understand that everyone's foot is different based on things like width, arch height, stride, history of injuries
3) Understand there are a lot of different heights, stiffnesses and materials that go into boots that affect your fit
4) Your style of hunting and terrain determine a lot about your boot selection, you probably are going to end up buying multiple pairs of boots

Lathrop & Sons just put out a new boot today that looks pretty bad ass. My feet changed/got wider since I bought my last pair so I may need to purchase a new set this summer.
I like the looks of those a bunch! Will probably spring for those the next time around. I'm a huge fan of their footbeds!

The local sport shop that I like to support carries Danner boots. I see a lot of folks have had bad experiences with the Pronghorns which are now made overseas. Anyone have any experiences with the models that are still made in the USA, like the East Ridge?

I really like my LL bean Maine hunters. They aren't very popular on these kind of sites.

They are tough, comfortable and their warrenty is unmatched. Had a pair that I ordered one size to big. Had them two years thinking I would get used to the room. Well I didn't. They took them back with no question and sent me brand new ones in the correct size. The boots were 2 yrs old, been beat up on hunts and just normal wear. Not bad for a $150 pair of boots that were stitched together by an American in Maine.

I have the Zamberlan Trek Top 997s and I like them a lot. The comfort is amazing after they are broken in. The first few times I wore them they were really stiff but now I don't think I could ask for a better boot. I wear Garmont boots on duty and they are also very comfortable wearing for long hours.

Living in the Colorado mountains, here's my two cents. I always wear at least an 8" boot for the ankle support. I also like boots with the rubber toe bumpers, as I scuff a lot of rocks. Leather & Goretex of course.
I used to like Danner boots, but the last pair I had was a big disappointment. I went to the uninsulated Meindl boot marketed under the Cabela's name, and they are super wide for my average feet. I had to add insoles to take up some room in them. In looking at the tags sewn in both the Danner and Meindl's, they are both made in Vietnam, and because the tongue tag is so very similar, I suspect the same factory.
I get along with uninsulated boots all Fall, and don't need any insulation during the Elk season months.
BTW, it's good to take a spare pair of socks in your daypack. When you have a mid day break, take your boots off, air your feet out, and when you put on clean socks, your feet will thank you, and you'll feel refreshed and ready to go again.

BTW, it's good to take a spare pair of socks in your daypack. When you have a mid day break, take your boots off, air your feet out, and when you put on clean socks, your feet will thank you, and you'll feel refreshed and ready to go again.

This is key. Foot powder to start the day will help as well. I haven't ever used an unscented foot powder but dry feet are happy feet. Just like your boots, don't skimp on socks. A good pair of moisture wicking socks will keep your feet happy and if you already have sad feet when you make a kill, you will have angry feet after packing a heavy load. When breaking boots in, I always wear a pair of knee highs under my socks. You may get weird looks for asking the lady at walmart where they are but I've never had a blister in any boot from standard issue to high quality.

They are the Salomon Quest 4d GTX. I have about 4 years on my current pair; which definitely puts over 500 miles on their odometer, and they have held up well. I do switch to Kenetrek 400s once it gets cold and snowy. They have done everything from antelope to mountain goat to packing moose quarters. The foam in the heel seems like it is starting to wear down, so I am starting to feel the rocks in the arch of my foot, so I might be picking up a new pair soon. Your mileage may certainly vary.....

If you happen to be military/law enforcement/firefighter/forest service/etc, check out Promotive, they have some good boot brands on there to include Salomon.

I like this idea with the Salomon's. I just bought a pair of low tops and like them a lot. You can get the pair you're referring to for under $180. Look on Amazon and see about free returns in case they don't fit. You can also use "All the Shoes.com" as a place to start your search. It consolidates all the shoes and where to get them. I think I'd also look into a gator if you wear a boot 8" or less tall plus it will help preserve your pants. My Kuiu Tiburon pants got pretty frayed last year without the gators.

If you want to look into another boot that may be a little more heavy duty, look at the Crispi Summit's. Black Ovis has them and you may be able to look for a coupon for 10% off Crispi if you look around. I bought the Crispi Guides last year and loved them. But, they are top of the line.

I have 5 years on my current Salomon's. I like them so much I've bought two more pairs. The originals have many, many miles on them, to include elk hunts in up to ~9" of snow and temps in the teens. They did fine, but insulated would have been preferable for the cold. But for hiking I think they are a fantastic boot.

I am also looking for some new boots but having problems finding them in my size. I need a 15 or 16 and so far am having problems with anyone even offering them in that size let alone having them in stock.

Meindl's Denali's from Cabela's is what I wear... The Meindl's are the only boots that have not given me a blister, I have sweaty feet, all the time so I need a boot that breaths really well and these seem to do it. I have the Meindl that are non insulated from Cabela's.
Matt

I've used Meindl's for years. I have a pair of the perfekt hunter and denalia's. They are a great boot and about $100 - $150 cheaper than comparable boots. You might also watch Amazon for a pair of the Lowa GTX super warm - Sometimes under $250 but only if you watch for it.

I've had a few different brands but I've had my best luck from the Meindl Perfekt Hikers, I've made my last 4 trips on them, I bought a backup pair on my last trip. there are several threads of mixed opinions on them but mine have been great and break in has been easy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenleafoutfitters
Back