Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Boots

Rjschwertz66

So I have another gear question for yinz guys. Wat kind of boots do you wear, or would you recommend? I've looked at kenetrek and not to sound like a cheap ass but I don't spend that much on my work boots and I live in them. Are there any more reasonably priced boots that meet with the high standards that come with the elk hunting?

You live in PA so do you need to spend $300 on boots to go elk hunting? No. You're coming out to hunt for how long? Once every few years if that? Nothing wrong with Danners...not Pronghorns....not Pronghorns.

Had great luck with Danners and Lowas. As elkduds says, Sierra Trading Post is a great place to look. Cabelas bargain cave has helped for finding boots too.

I agree with Unit on Danner and Lowas. I've owned one pair of Lowa boots for the last 15 years and well over 1000 miles. Only thing wrong is the worn sole which is expected. Couldnt speak higher of them. Go try on a lot and figure out which ones are make your feet the happiest. Use them a good bit before you come elk hunt. Make sure they're broken in. Best of luck in your search. let us know what you decide on.

Personally I like buying the BassPro (Redhead) brand. I've had the same pair of boots that I purchased for about $90 on sale 4 years ago. I've used them for elk and whitetail hunting and eventually wore the sole off of the first pair after about 20 miles of hiking during an Elk hunt. BassPro has a lifetime warranty on their boots so as long as you can show them a logo and damage not caused by cutting or tearing, they will swap them out no questions asked. We had to scrape the boots to find the logo since they were caked with mud literally from the hunt the week before but once we found the logo they swapped them out. That 2nd pair eventually had an issue with the sole which they again were happy to replace. I know that doesnt necessarily help if you are in the middle of hunting but I always travel with a backup pair of boots in case they get wet anyway. For the money I paid and them swapping them out I cant complain that I've had three pairs of new boots for a one time $90 investment 4 years ago.

Meindl's Denali's from Cabela's is what I wear... have had them 2 season's so far and there still in great shape, put a bunch of miles on them already, I'm going to get yelled at but I wore Danner Pronghorn's for 13 years, had 3 pairs in that time, when they were made in OR they were decent boots, but not anymore............. The Meindl's are the only boots that have not given me a blister, I have sweaty feet, all the time so I need a boot that breaths really well and these seem to do it. I have the Meindl that are non insulated from Cabela's.
Matt

You can never spend too much on boots. I would argue that coming from PA that good boots are critical. Would hate to drive almost 2000 miles and be sidelined after a couple days due to torn up feet. Buy a good boot and they will last you a lifetime. I really like my Lowa's. I'd like to know where folks are buying their Lowa's if they are lumping them into the same category as Danners.

Look for features, not for brand name. Decide how tall you want, how stiff, full rand or partial, waterproof or no, etc and then shop around. You will quickly find that not all boots fit the same, even if they look nearly identical.

As for price, I guess the value and worth is in the eye of the beholder. I have no problem dropping several hundred on a good pair of boots. However, they way I hunt good fitting boots are a necessity.

I used to be a huge Lowa fan, but the last pair I had were shit. Lowa wouldn't help me out one bit on them. It was clearly subpar leather quality, but they absolved any responsibility because I used Sno Seal on them. Moral of the story, whatever you buy, I would ONLY use their recommended boot treatment if you want the warrant they come with to be worth anything. If you don't care, use whatever, just be aware it could come back to haunt you.

I prefer hiking/climbing shoes my for the real REI crowd (the ones that actually do chit on the weekends). I've been rocking Garamond, Asolo, and Scarpa for the better part of the last decade. I would never wear danners again.

I was in that situation last year and didn't want to spend the money. I had found a pair of Irish Setter that were around $200 that had good reviews. Then Kenetrek threw a 25% off sale and I just couldn't turn it down.

I got the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme non-insulated and haven't regretted it for a minute. I have put over 200 miles on them so far and up and down 16 different mountains and haven't had a blister. Can't say enough about how good boots are.

Also don't forget that a great sock makes a lot of difference as well.

For those of you that walk a lot while hunting, would you say that a pair of GOOD boots that weigh 6 pounds is a deal breaker versus a good 4 pound pair?

For those of you that walk a lot while hunting, would you say that a pair of GOOD boots that weigh 6 pounds is a deal breaker versus a good 4 pound pair?

I put fit above everything. If the 6 pound pair fit better than the 4 pound pair I'd buy the heavier boots. I'm not one to spend a ton on boots but I will if that's what it takes to get a good fit.

Several hunting partners wear Solomon boots for early season and I think that's the way I'll head soon. I see them on sale regularly. Hopefully Ross sees this post and will chime in on the model of boots they wear. Sometimes I see Zamberlan and Lowa boots on sale.

Brands I have tried and have failed miserably are Rocky's, Keen, LaCrosse, and Danner. Danners being the most overrated boot I've ever put my feet in. If I had invested the $ I spent on crappy boots I would have a pair or 2 of good ones with $ to spare.

Boots that fit. And then wear the heck out of them to get them broken in and gauge how well your feet feel.

And that said, I saw somewhere (maybe even here) that as boots get stiffer and more technical, you may have to work harder for a perfect fit (e.g, try on lots of boots, spend time in them, experiment with different insoles, and maybe even stretch them). This was my experience as well. I tried all the big brands and put some miles on a few pairs. The one pair I thought was going to work, eventually killed my feet after 5-6 miles.

Soft, flexible boots fit better off the shelf and area little less expensive. I'm Salomon Quests 4Ds now and so far I like them. Once the snow is out of the hills, I'll put some real miles on them and judge them again.

I have a pair of insulated Danner Pronghorns that I wear late season, but I don't really like them. My main boots is a pair of Oboz Wind River boots. They are advertised as backpacking boots, but they are high enough and have enough ankle support that they really work well for elk and mule deer hunting. I think they are less than $200 as well.

My feet love White's. Expensive, heavy (6 lbs, 7 oz), extremely durable, and very comfortable. Have two pairs since 2007 and one pair since 2004. Had them rebuilt a couple times and wear them everyday of the year except when there is more than 6 inches of snow and/or less than 20 degrees Fahrenheit. I was even allowed to wear them on wedding day :)
Schnee's 16" Hunter II's (same pair since 2002) are my other footwear.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 765
Ive always worn scarpas but when my last pair wore out i bought a pair of meindls because a few friends had them and loved them. For 95% of my usage they are a bit too stiff to be on my feet. That being said if i was only allowed one pair for all conditions and situations, id have to take them. But since thats not the case i bought a pair of salomon 4D Quests and i absolutely love them. No break in time and i put in over 100 miles in northern idaho last year. Hands down the most comfortable boot ive ever owned. Ive gotten 4 friends to buy them and they all love them as much as i do. No they wont last near as long as the meindls, but for as good as they are i dont mind. Good luck in your quest!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back