Boot Treatment

ERSS

Got a pair of Lowa Tibets as a gift this year. Any experience based suggestions on the best treatment/conditioner to use on them?

I had the same question a while back: http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=261174

I've been testing out Nikwax, Obenaufs, and Sno Seal. The Nikwax makes them look great, but wears off quickly. The Obenaufs goes on easy and seems like it conditions the leather pretty well. For waterproofing I like Sno Seal the best, applied with the help of a hair dryer as much as the leather will take.

I've had a pair of wolverine boots for 19 years, the soles are wore through but the leather is still soft and supple and doesn't leak, all I've ever used is kiwi mink oil.

I had the same question a while back: http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=261174

I've been testing out Nikwax, Obenaufs, and Sno Seal. The Nikwax makes them look great, but wears off quickly. The Obenaufs goes on easy and seems like it conditions the leather pretty well. For waterproofing I like Sno Seal the best, applied with the help of a hair dryer as much as the leather will take.

Thanks for the responses,

Appreciate the link, figured it had been asked before but was unable to come up with that thread in my search.

Kennetrek markets some good stuff, too. I use it on my Kennetreks and it appears to be good stuff. Obenaufs is good and is also a good hand treatment.

For stiff mountain boots don't use a product with conditioner or mink oil, it will soften them and they'll lose their stiffness.

I'm still looking for the best. Have tried everything and havead it back around to Sno Seal, or what ever it's called now. I believe the company was sold recently. Wax of some sort seems to work better than silicone.

For stiff mountain boots don't use a product with conditioner or mink oil, it will soften them and they'll lose their stiffness.

I'm still looking for the best. Have tried everything and havead it back around to Sno Seal, or what ever it's called now. I believe the company was sold recently. Wax of some sort seems to work better than silicone.

This.

Also, it depends on how the leather was tanned. Most mountaineering boots have chrome tanned leather. Boots like White's have oil tanned leather. Don't ever use oils or greases on chrome tanned leather. Use a wax based treatment or you will ruin them.

I like Obenaufs HD treatment. It definitely conditions the leather well but my favorite part is that it still allows the leather to breathe. SnoSeal is great but it definitely seems to make things a little clammy.

Use what manufacturer recommends 1st.
Some are not for Gore-tex breathable type boot,some not on suede types.
I use Kenetrek boot dressing on the packs.
On most others I like Danner boot dressing or Obenaufs.

Another vote for SnoSeal and another against animal based treatments. I made the mistake of using mink oil on a previous set of boots and it actually seemed to make them very permeable. I have had great results with SnoSeal on my Asolo Sasslong boots.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back