Book on Behavior/Tactics

SherpaPhil

Hello,

I have never elk hunted, but want to do a public land hunt in 2015 or 2016. Does anyone recommend a book or two on the basics of elk hunting and/or general elk behavior? I have a fair amount of back country and hunting experience, but have never gone after elk. Thanks in advance!

Elk of North America Ecology and Management. It is as dry as they come as far as entertainment goes, but it's a college textbook that I've been reading and the information is awesome. You can find it on Amazon for cheap. Also Petersen's magazine put out a book called Bowhunting Modern Elk. It's a little easier to read and can be found on Amazon. These books were recommended to me by a guy that is helping me learn about elk calling and hunting.

Radical Elk Hunting Strategies by Mike Lapinski
All About Elk (North American Hunting Club Series) By 4 authors. This book was pretty good.
Elk Talk Series by Don Laubach and Mark Henkel... There were a couple books these guys put out... cant remember the other titles.

Last edited:
Elk of North America Ecology and Management. It is as dry as they come as far as entertainment goes, but it's a college textbook that I've been reading and the information is awesome.

^^ That. No book taught me more about how/where to find elk on a consistent basis, than that book. The tips and tactics books make for some interesting reading, but my experience has shown that once you find elk, they are not the hard to kill. Knowing where to find them consistently, at all times of the hunting season, is the hardest part.

Most of my emails and questions at seminars show that guys struggle to find elk, consistently. I find that they are skipping the boring work of learning about elk; their biology, their seasonal patterns, food preferences, tolerances to hot weather, impacts of cold and snow, and other information that influences where elk will be during the time you are hunting them.

Many think elk are scattered equally across the landscape and that it must be their tactics that are the problem. Not the case. Their tactics are probably sound, but you can't catch trout in a NYC parking lot; in other words, the best tactics in the world do you no good if there are no elk in the areas you are spending your time employing those tactics.

If you PM me your address, I will loan my copy to you. Better check to make sure it is not out on loan right now.

Randy, is your version the '82 or '02 edition? I doubt very much that the info which is pertinent to us folks would change much in 20 years i.e. diet, behavior etc.
The reason I ask is because I am cheap and the cost difference between the 2 editions is about $140. :)

Randy, is your version the '82 or '02 edition? I doubt very much that the info which is pertinent to us folks would change much in 20 years i.e. diet, behavior etc.
The reason I ask is because I am cheap and the cost difference between the 2 editions is about $140. :)

Mine is the old version. Been reading it off and on since moving to MT in 1991.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will be sure to check them out.

Randy, that is a very generous offer, thank you!

Randy is spot on. Elk get 90% of my focus and time hunting and what I've learned through the years is what Randy talked about. I chat with neighbors that hunt every year without seeing elk which makes it difficult to put their tag on one. It is true that they aren't all that hard to kill once you know where they are. Unless you are hunting a particular bull or size of a bull, satellites and cows can be called in pretty regularly if you have the wind right. They aren't as flighty as mule deer and making noise in the woods is a benefit most of the time.

I just checked the book out online and it looks like a winner for sure. Something I may pick up just because I like reading and learning anything I can.

I've enjoyed reading Elk Tactics and The Elk Hunter by Don Laubach & Mark Henckel. Also, Elk Hunting the West by Mike Eastman is a decent elk hunting base builder. If you are looking to hunt with a bow Corey Jacobsen's Elk University DVD is great.

I've enjoyed reading Elk Tactics and The Elk Hunter by Don Laubach & Mark Henckel. Also, Elk Hunting the West by Mike Eastman is a decent elk hunting base builder. If you are looking to hunt with a bow Corey Jacobsen's Elk University DVD is great.

Elk Hunting the West Revived by Mike Eastman is a great book as well. It is just recently released, and he has updated info on equipment, and added more chapters as well ( I think 10 new Chapters). He is my favorite hunting author I have found so far.

Thanks for the tip on Elk of North America Ecology and Management. My copy just arrived today, can't wait to start reading. Along with it in the mail was the first Cabela's "fall" shooting catalog. I guess it won't be that long 'til hunting season.

FYI, the book is up to $168 on Amazon now and that is for a used book.

You can buy it straight from the Wildlife Management Institute brand new for $42.50.

Just ordered mine too! Always looking to learn more about what I'm hunting. Thanks for the tip on going direct.

If Your not gonna hunt till next year get out this year during Elk season and watch them.Hands on training is the best. See where they Bed, Feed ,Water. Try to spend as much time as You can in the woods. Its fun TOO. I been huntin them only 22 years and always still looking for tips. I read a lot of Magazines. If You can get one tip or something You remember out of a article it is worth it.Time in the field is precious..Just My take ,Good luck................BOB!

Back