Boiling elk skull?

Paul in Idaho

The big canning kettle I use to boil deer skulls is too small for cleaning an elk skull. It isn't deep enough. I thought I could boil half, then flip the skull and to the other half. That left a thick greasy line where the water line was though.

I thought maybe a big turkey roaster pan would work, but it's too small.

Can you guys suggest a container big enough to submerge an elk skull completely?

I use a utility tub/stock water tub. It's about 20 gal or so. Its big enough for a moose.

Attachments

• 2016-03-20 10.59.45.jpg
    2016-03-20 10.59.45.jpg
    326.6 KB · Views: 1,618
Like Speeddmn mentioned, I took a steel 55 gallon drum and cut it off just enough that the entire skull would fit, and no more. I didn't want any more water than needed to boil. The thickness of the steal and more water would take too much unnecessary propane to finally start the water to boil.

Last edited:
In a pinch you can fold a pad of paper towels and arrange them such that they will wick hot water up over the bone that isn't submerged. Works well if you are using a tub that isn't quite deep enough to cover the top of the skull between the antlers for example. This works best though when you start with the paper towels in place. Now you would probably overdo the submerged parts.

I was in the same predicament last fall and ended up using an empty "Crystalyx" mineral tub, which is essentially a drum already cut down to size. If you live in a rural area check with your local feed store and more than likely they'll just give you a used one to borrow for free.

Good Luck.

Hunting Wife, thanks for the hint on the paper towels. That probably would work without bleaching out the lower portions of the antlers when hydrogen peroxide is added.

Get a turkey fryer pot (30ish) quarts, you can buy them seperate from the whole burner/propane set up if you don't need that part of the equation. Stick the elk skull straight nose down in, the antlers will rest on the lip of the pot. In the few skulls that I've done, only the very base of the skull (maybe 2") isn't under water. You can just ladle water on it periodically....then get to scraping it clean.

Get a turkey fryer pot (30ish) quarts, you can buy them seperate from the whole burner/propane set up if you don't need that part of the equation. Stick the elk skull straight nose down in, the antlers will rest on the lip of the pot. In the few skulls that I've done, only the very base of the skull (maybe 2") isn't under water. You can just ladle water on it periodically....then get to scraping it clean.

2nd that. Maybe more of a pain in the a__ because the skull isn't completely submerged, but if everything were easy, everyone would do it!

I've added a borax to the water to help remove fat and tissue from the skull. Works really well. I know it was not asked for, but if you are using liquid peroxide to whiten skull mix it with baking soda and then apply it as a paste. Works awesome.

Dawn dish soap added to the water helps cut the grease and crud as well as borax

2nd. First one I ever did myself, I didn't add anything because I was a novice. Heard from a friend that Dawn dish soap cuts the smell and helps peel the goo and grime off easier. He saved me hours of time, and the smell was very tolerable.

Back