Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Bob Marshall Elk

macnshana

Im looking at hunting the Bob Marshall this year for elk and deer. I plan on spending the spring and summer scouting via horseback but im still unsure as to the amount of elk in the wilderness. The only thing I can find online about it is a lot of outfitter stuff and a couple of fairly old stories of people with great success. I've read plenty about the bear and wolf situation there also. But I'm not seeing much on current, last 5 years, elk information. Has anyone ventured in for the rifle rut recently? I'm in the Bitterroot so its not to far for me to trailer my horses there and it seems to be one of those must do elk hunts. I'm just hoping for some recent info on elk populations there and trail conditions. Thanks in advance.

A Guy I know here in Michigan, did a guided hunt in the Bob 2 years ago, and if I remember right, and I am pretty sure I do. no one in their group even saw a Elk in 7 days of hunting.
that is all I know about it.

Kevin

The Bob Marshall is a huge place, so not knowing where you plan on scouting and hunting its hard to answer your question. The trails are maintained by volunteers, CCC, and forest service employees. There pretty good but you might find a tree across the trail, that's just life in the wilderness. There are plenty of elk, deer, and bears. It's a great place to find a color phase bear. The deer hunting is great above timberline, the mountains aren't 14,000 feet but they are steep and full of blowdown. Elk are scattered from creek bottoms to above timberline, you just have to find where they are hanging out. But it's the country and the experience that make hunting there truly spectacular

People who hunt the Bob Marshall Wilderness hunt for the Wilderness experience, not necessarily the elk. There are elk there, and you can hunt the rut, but it is big, big rugged country and elk do not come easy.

I appreciate everyone's input. We will be entering with Elk, deer, bear and wolf tags. I believe the area we are looking at finding an entrance trail is by a town called Condon on the lower west side of the wilderness. I'm still learning the regulations of the early rifle hunt and if all other species will coincide with elk in that area. I'm sure it will be a new experience which to be honest is what im looking for.

Deer population densities are low. Elk can be higher, depending on where you go.

If you do some serious scouting, you will be ahead of the game. But keep in mind the parking lots get really full right before season opens. Really full. So I would avoid obvious spots to scout because likely they will be worth dog doo on opening morning.

It should be a really fun hunt. Don't expect to tag out on a 350 bull though. Just because you can hunt the rut doesn't mean it's easy. If I were after big bulls, I'd gladly swap for bow and another unit.

I appreciate everyone's input. We will be entering with Elk, deer, bear and wolf tags. I believe the area we are looking at finding an entrance trail is by a town called Condon on the lower west side of the wilderness. I'm still learning the regulations of the early rifle hunt and if all other species will coincide with elk in that area. I'm sure it will be a new experience which to be honest is what im looking for.

Sounds like your looking at going in by Holland Lake. Big Salmon Lake is about 21 miles in and is good fishing so take your fishing pole. I think that area gets a lot of visitors. Access along the Swan range is limited due to terrain.

Most of the guys I know that used to hunt it don't anymore because elk numbers are so low and the griz numbers are so high. I would suggest you look at going in on the east side, west of Choteau. Elk numbers are high over there, there is a winter range that they come out to. As others have stated above, I think you are hunting the experience out there, not the animals. I would like to do it someday, as I have never hunted the Bob and being a Montanan, I think that's a poor showing on my part. If you had an extra saddle I might join you. I'm in the Root too.

Most of the guys I know that used to hunt it don't anymore because elk numbers are so low and the griz numbers are so high. I would suggest you look at going in on the east side, west of Choteau. Elk numbers are high over there, there is a winter range that they come out to. As others have stated above, I think you are hunting the experience out there, not the animals. I would like to do it someday, as I have never hunted the Bob and being a Montanan, I think that's a poor showing on my part. If you had an extra saddle I might join you. I'm in the Root too.

Most of the east side of the Bob doesn't have an early rifle season. The Sun River Game Preserve takes up a good portion of the south half. To the north, the season doesn't open until you cross the divide.

a buddy I know went in on a guided hunt 3 years ago they all killed bulls and bucks. biggest bull was 300" they were 28 mi in

Sounds like your looking at going in by Holland Lake. Big Salmon Lake is about 21 miles in and is good fishing so take your fishing pole. I think that area gets a lot of visitors. Access along the Swan range is limited due to terrain.
If Condon, probably the less popular Smith Creek pass and into the Little Salmon, which is small but quite fishable. I remember the area being very thick with brush - I couldn't find a place to camp until I was 7 miles in. It is really big country so plan on some long scouting rides.

My dad used to get elk in the Bob with friends but that's been at least 20 years. I tried to go 35 years ago, but someone stole our camp so we had to turn around and ride back to the truck and go home!

I backpacked in there a bit a couple summers ago. We went in on the west side out of Augusta. We were in the Sun River Game Preserve most of the time, but still only saw a couple cow elk. Did see quite a few mule deer, and even a whitetail about 20 miles in.

I'd love to go back sometime, it's some of the neatest country I've been in.

I sincerely appreciate everyone's input on this. Finding the right trail to head in on seems to be the issue ill be trying to overcome. But that's part of what will make this a great experience.

Let us know What you come up with. It is on my bucket list for a back packing trip but the where and how is always the hard part

Meadow creek trailhead offers good access the the west side of the bob complex, with better trails then coming over from holland, offers many drainage system to hunt and there's some burn country a little further in that has good regrowth. The only thing to remember is you got to get 5 miles in before you get to hunt the early rut season. But from there it's fair game and can see anything from the trail anywhere you want to hunt/camp

I've never hunted in there, but have been backpacking. I'm no help with any elk suggestions, but you've certainly picked a great place to hunt as far a scenery and wilderness go! Best of luck to you and let us know how you do!

Meadow creek trailhead offers good access the the west side of the bob complex, with better trails then coming over from holland, offers many drainage system to hunt and there's some burn country a little further in that has good regrowth. The only thing to remember is you got to get 5 miles in before you get to hunt the early rut season. But from there it's fair game and can see anything from the trail anywhere you want to hunt/camp

Thanks for that info. Any and all information I can get is a huge help. I will check out Meadow Creek trail head as soon as it thaws.

My experience has been lots of people on the trails, never saw a sole off trail. Had 2 nights there where the elk were bugling all night long. Hard to get any sleep! Here's a good trail guide book for the Bob.
https://www.amazon.com/Hiking-Montanas-Marshall-Wilderness-Regional/dp/1560447982#reader_1560447982

I'm a Bitterrooter too. Can loan you my book if you are interested.
Thanks for the offer and the link. I just ordered it as well as another map of the Bob. I have a feeling it will save me a lot of time. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back