Blind question

Elkdog36

I have some access to private ground not far from where I live and my pre-season scouting has turned up some nice antelope in the area. I found a nice pinch point between some bluffs and a four-strand fence that the 'lopes are traveling up and down. There are a couple small water holes along the pinch that may or may not still be holding water in a month, not that it matters with as wet as its been here this summer, but they are using them right now. I'm thinking about a blind in this pinch point, but having no experience with hunting antelope, I was wondering in your opinion how long it takes for them to get used to it? I can set it up whenever, I just run the risk of it getting beaten up pretty bad with our western Kansas winds. Any thoughts?

I'd put the blind up a good week or more prior to your hunt if possible... I leave my ground blinds up continuously on private land for 3-4 months at a time and there's some stiff wind to deal with here. Get rid of the cheesy stakes that came with your ground blind. Use something like this on the eyelets (that touch the ground) and put the pin through the eyelet and bury the stake with a claw hammer, you'll need a claw hammer to remove the stakes in the end:
http://www.campmor.com/heavy-galvanized-steel-hook-stakes-15-inch.shtml

Also use guy ropes on the exterior hub tie offs and stake them down good too, I use something like this for a stake:
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/tents/tent-accessories/secure/groundhog-tent-stakes/product
The rope on the stake makes stake removal easier. You can use shorter stakes if in heavy soil (like clay), but use long stakes if in sandy soil. I just use long ones where ever I go, not much rock where I'm at.

IMO antelope rarely look up, so getting vertical (like 20 feet) is better than being on the ground. If the bluff is close enough to the fence (so antelope are within your archery range as they walk by), then use the bluff as a tree stand if possible.

I've seen antelope go out of their way to pass through an opening in a fence (IE. open gate, twisted wires, etc) versus crawling under the fence (that's assuming they aren't being pressured). If using a ground blind is a must, then try finding a spot where they like to pass through the fence and set up your blind near it. This can be as good as a water hole in some instances.

Regardless of which ever method you go with keep in mind that prevailing wind direction may be the determining factor in your blind placement.

Last edited:
^^^Thanks for this muledeerjunkie...you've even answered some other questions I had, appreciate that! This pinch point I mentioned has a gate a couple hundred yards down the fence. I had the thought to ask the rancher if I could open it during season if no cattle were in that particular pasture. I'd hoped it would help funnel the pronghorn through, but I hadn't planned to hunt right on top of it...maybe I'll look more at that now. I also liked the idea of hunting up on the bluff, that would help with scent too in this case and I'd be out of their line of sight. Thanks for the tips...and links!

All depends on how spooky they are. I once put a blind up on day #1 and the next day they were coming to the waterhole.

good luck to all
the dog

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back