Black Hills of SD Whitetail hunting

SD-Esox

Just wanted to give my state a bit of the spot light. I love my state and may be a bit bias but the Black Hills are a beautiful landscape everyone should experience in their lifetime. Especially in November During the Whitetail rut, If you live west were whitetails are not common the Hills will be very inviting to the style of hunting with still hunting and spot and stalk. If your some one from the east looking to come west but the "big country" of the true west seems a bit intimidating to you especially if you have some physical challenges that might be to much for the big mountains the Black Hills will definitely give you that mountain feeling with-out the ruggedness of the west. Hunting pressure may seem high, but if your not afraid to use your boots you will find yourself alone pretty fast.
We have one ridge we hunt that is literally less than 500yrds from beat down road but since it has a good incline from the road no one gets out to hunt it. Literally If I have come across more than a couple sets of tracks from another hunter up there in 20 plus years of hunting I wouldn't be exaggerating.
So if you have missed the draw in the other states or didn't draw a tag think of my little piece of heaven. You get the whole month of Nov to hunt and the application deadline isn't till July 12 I believe. Not to mention you have the chance of encountering Elk, Mule deer, also I quite often cross paths with Big Horn Sheep and if your really lucky you might even come across a mountain lion. It is a fun yet challenging hunt for sure, You may not shot a Boone and Crocket Class deer but deer in the 140's and even bigger are getting more common 4 years ago my father shot a 5x5 scoring over 150.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back