Bino/Spotter Advice

j_burkWI

I've been lurking around the site for a while now trying to educate myself in case I get the chance to finally go on an elk hunt. Looks like it's finally gonna happen this year with an archery hunt! Here's my 1st of probably many questions for you guys. My budget is limited since I'm starting from scratch for elk. I have about $600 available to spend on optics. I currently have Leupold Mesa 10x50 & Bushnell Sportsman 10x42 binos (high end optics aren't critical in northern WI!). Is my money better spent on binos or a spotter? Was considering a Vortex Viper 15-45x65 spotter (non HD-price is appealing) & using binos I already own or am I better off with new binos no spotter? If binos are better choice, what power is best for glassing big country? Any advice anyone has regarding brand, model and power of optics would be greatly appreciated!

I'd buy a pair of 10x42 binoculars first. As far as brand goes, buy the best you can afford. $600 is enough to get a good pair. I'm sure someone here will have a link to a good deal.

I'd buy a pair of 10x42 binoculars first. As far as brand goes, buy the best you can afford. $600 is enough to get a good pair. I'm sure someone here will have a link to a good deal.

I agree, spend the money on binocs. I would get either the Theron from predator optics or some Vortex Diamondbacks. Will leave you some cash left over as well

Haven't used the Theron products but I read nothing but good reviews on them. And I imagine you could get binos and a spotter/tripod kit and stay within your budget. Or real close. I'm sure Schmalts will chime in soon.

If I were in your position I'd hunt with your Mesa's and use the saved money to get you there.

A Leupold 10x50 porro prism bino should be all you need. I've never looked through them but my son has their 8x30 Yosemite bino's and they are incredible for the price so your's should be fine.

Elk are big and you can see them a long ways at 10x. Not like looking for 2" cheaters on a muley, you'll know a bull instantly unless he's 5 miles away.

Welcome to the site and good luck on your elk quest!

Also Biscuit is right on. Put some bino's on a small tripod to make them really shine. Makes looking for game in the shadows for hours tolerable! I couldn't believe the difference it made when I scouted the first time with one.

Screw the spotter, get a nice pair of 10x42 binos. Vortex are a good choice. For glassing, use your bow. Put a primos sling on the bow, you'll want this anyways, then use your bow as a monopod. The sling protects the cam from dirt,debris and you rest the binos on the top cam. You can rest your elbows on your knees and glass really well for a long time.

I'd look into the redfield(leupold's inexpensive brand) binos and spotter. I have both and use them more than most people. I am not disappointed at all. You could get both for the $600 and won't be disappointed.

Is a straight or angled eyepiece better on a spotter? Around home I'd use them at the range or checking out whitetails from my truck. The few times I've checked out optics, they all look pretty similar in the store when all you have to look at is the other side Cabelas or Gander Mt., so all your input is greatly appreciated!

Is a straight or angled eyepiece better on a spotter? Around home I'd use them at the range or checking out whitetails from my truck. The few times I've checked out optics, they all look pretty similar in the store when all you have to look at is the other side Cabelas or Gander Mt., so all your input is greatly appreciated!

Very personal choice. If your taller my bet is you will like angled better than straight because you can get away with a lot lower tripod. A lower tripod means more stable, less wind buzz, and less chances of you being spotted by game.
If you plan on using a spotter most of the time from a car window mount then go straight.

The angled is best in the field but you will probably prefer the straight more when at the range, in the vehicle, at home, etc. I would still go for the binos, vortex viper hd's, that run right at 600.

The angled is best in the field but you will probably prefer the straight more when at the range, in the vehicle, at home, etc. I would still go for the binos, vortex viper hd's, that run right at 600.

Very happy with my Vortex Viper HD's - my son uses the Diamondbacks - which are a heck of a nice binocular for the dollar as well.

I also use the Vortex Viper HD's. Crystal clear bino with a rock solid warranty.

Definetly a spotter... you can't hunt out west the same with out one... your binos are fine.. get a spotter, they give you such an edge... you may know he's a bull, but at 1 mile I want to know if he's a Big Bull or just a mature bull.... also would you want to hike an extra 2-4 miles for a 4 point raghorn thinking it was a nice 5 point or 6 point... it will be better spent money on a spotter.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CZ452Scout
Back