Bino Harness Pain

RSET

While backpack hunting with 40-60 lbs, my bino harness puts a lot of strain on my traps. Without the pack, I don’t have an issue. Anyone else experience this? Solutions? I’ve tried three different harnesses with same outcome.

I've found marsupial to be the most comfortable, but sounds like you have binding or pressure point somewhere from the pack straps or buckles etc.

Trial and error with both sets of straps (bino harness and pack) to see where/ when/ how the pressure changes

I had issues the time I used bailing wire as my bino harness. Other than that, no real issues.

Just try a different harness until you find one that works. Borrow one to test if you have to but your other option is to adjust your pack. It may be too short and riding on your shoulders too much and your hips too little.
Not sure what kind of pack you're using but if there's a way to move the load a little higher on your back to take some weight off your shoulders that should help.

I've had packs that didn't fit properly and there's not much worse besides foot issues.

While backpack hunting with 40-60 lbs, my bino harness puts a lot of strain on my traps. Without the pack, I don’t have an issue. Anyone else experience this? Solutions? I’ve tried three different harnesses with same outcome.
Kuiu by chance? I have the exact same problem.

I cannot stand anything on my chest restricting ventilation. My pack has a cross-strap connecting the two shoulder straps and I don't see how it would be possible to wear a binoc harness anyway.

I never bothered with the extra weight and hassle of binocs until I started hunting Africa. Even there binoculars are not really necessary as PH and tracker always have top quality glass. They know what they're looking for too. I take my binoculars mostly for entertainment. Can't stand having a binocular case swinging at my side or around my neck so I made this prototype belt holster from a lady's purse bought at Goodwill Store. The prototype worked well enough so I haven't bothered with making another. When we are onto game I usually tuck the lid into the holster and use it open topped for quick draw. I suppose if I was inclined to use binoculars with a pack I'd find a way to attach a holster to the belly strap or shoulder strap.
20220320_235509.jpg20220320_235530.jpg
PS: When these images were taken, I still had yet to put a snap on the strap.

Last edited:
I cannot stand anything on my chest restricting ventilation. My pack has a cross-strap connecting the two shoulder straps and I don't see how it would be possible to wear a binoc harness anyway.

I never bothered with the extra weight and hassle of binocs until I started hunting Africa. Even there binoculars are not really necessary as PH and tracker always have top quality glass. They know what they're looking for too. I take my binoculars mostly for entertainment. Can't stand having a binocular case swinging at my side or around my neck so I made this prototype belt holster from a lady's purse bought at Goodwill Store. The prototype worked well enough so I haven't bothered with making another. When we are onto game I usually tuck the lid into the holster and use it open topped for quick draw. I suppose if I was inclined to use binoculars with a pack I'd find a way to attach a holster to the belly strap or shoulder strap.
View attachment 300996View attachment 300997
PS: When these images were taken, I still had yet to put a snap on the strap.
So....

...you gotta murse?

I've found marsupial to be the most comfortable, but sounds like you have binding or pressure point somewhere from the pack straps or buckles etc.

Trial and error with both sets of straps (bino harness and pack) to see where/ when/ how the pressure changes
Yeah, I’ve tried a Marsupial with same outcome. Trial and error might be the only option…

I cannot stand anything on my chest restricting ventilation. My pack has a cross-strap connecting the two shoulder straps and I don't see how it would be possible to wear a binoc harness anyway. KH: How very odds that millions? of other hunters have no such perception and experience zero issue with a pack ad bino harness,

What on earth?

What you are seeming to say is you are cool with not seeing a ton of critters you would otherwise see and then be able to consider hunting.

Standing around looking at nothing while a guide is looking for and seeing and sizing up all manner of game sounds incredibly boring. Unless you have a crossword puzzle book stashed in a hip holster in which case “fun times puzzling!”

Hey just messing with ya, we all do things our own way but also a bit mystified.

FHF used to make a buckle setup where you could attach your harness to your pack straps. I've considered going this route before but haven't tried it out yet.

What you are seeming to say is you are cool with not seeing a ton of critters you would otherwise see and then be able to consider hunting.
I'm more confused by how having the strap that connects the shoulder straps (standard on even my kids Frozen backpack) makes it impossible to wear a binoharnes. So much in thay post to unpakcage tho.

What on earth?

Standing around looking at nothing while a guide is looking for and seeing and sizing up all manner of game sounds incredibly boring. Unless you have a crossword puzzle book stashed in a hip holster in which case “fun times puzzling!”

Hey just messing with ya, we all do things our own way but also a bit mystified.
I have a bad left eye: three major surgeries for retina detachments and silicon buckle around it to hold it together (since 2003). It doesn't see the same line of sight as right eye. Consequently even the best binoculars don't work well for me. Scoping animals on 9x actually gives as good of not better results.

Once the tracker or PH spots the animals, I'll usually put binocs on them. When I'm looking for game, I always seem to find rocks and trees that cause me to throw up the false alarm. Kinda embarrassing.

FHF used to make a buckle setup where you could attach your harness to your pack straps. I've considered going this route before but haven't tried it out yet.
Just found this on their website. Might give it a go. Appreciate the response

Just found this on their website. Might give it a go. Appreciate the response
It seems counterintuitive, but I have an FHF harness never had an issue until this year. One day I tightened the straps to have the harness sit higher on my chest and tighter. That day my traps where killing me along with right down my spine. I had never had an issue before this. I loosened the straps on the harness and the pain never came back the rest of the trip.

Maybe try loosening your harness and letting it "sag" a bit, seems to work for me.

I hate wearing two harnesses.

I use the Eberlestock with the optional rigging that clips to your backpack shoulder straps. I keep a set of of clips on three different backpacks. Put on your pack, clip on bino system, and go.
The latest version has add-on side pouches for other toys.

Last edited:
I did this DIY before they had they're own make, but MG has a strap system you can buy now too...

Cheap and works great...been using mine for years, still happy w it

So....

...you gotta murse?
I'm a widower so no spouse to buy the purse for me. I picked the checker at Goodwill Store with green hair, tackle box facial jewelry, and tattoo addiction issues. Figured she'd not bat an eye when an old white-haired guy tried to buy a woman's handbag. Next time I'll try lingerie and see what her reaction is. "[sniff, sniff] Yeah, I'll take this one."

For the guys using the harness attached to you pack what are you doing when you decide to drop your pack for a stalk? Or even when you sit to glass just holding your binos?

These 2 scenarios are what has held me back from going this route.

For the guys using the harness attached to you pack what are you doing when you decide to drop your pack for a stalk? Or even when you sit to glass just holding your binos?

These 2 scenarios are what has held me back from going this route.
I carry the bino harness straps in my pack..takes about 15 seconds to switch out.

Usually, if I just sit to glass I'm leaning back against my pack or its right next to me, so bino pouch is right at hand either way even if its still attached to backpack.

It seems counterintuitive, but I have an FHF harness never had an issue until this year. One day I tightened the straps to have the harness sit higher on my chest and tighter. That day my traps where killing me along with right down my spine. I had never had an issue before this. I loosened the straps on the harness and the pain never came back the rest of the trip.

Maybe try loosening your harness and letting it "sag" a bit, seems to work for me.
Good to know…I actually did the same thing thinking it would keep the harness higher on my torso. I’ll try loosening it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back