Big ol Burban?

Always liked the 2500 'burb.
Having more capacity and stronger components is a good thing. Not that I’ve ever accidentally jumped a cattle gate or anything. Or had to spend the night in a broken and stranded vehicle from judicious use of the accelerator pedal.

Sorry, just saw this post I absolutely love hunting out of a suburban, mine is much older. With a family everyone and everything stays inside and dry. I like the balance a suburban has, pick-ups lighter in the rear end, goes really well in the snow and mud. Mine was built for off road use and only sees about 100 miles of pavement a year. Good luck with your new purchase.

@mtmuley The value was 2400 bucks for a 119,000 mile 4x4. Couldn’t say no to IFS for that price.
Like I said, Cognito Motorsports for suspension. I would do it to my truck if budget allowed. I used all factory parts in my front end since the other was out of my budget. mtmuley

Like I said, Cognito Motorsports for suspension. I would do it to my truck if budget allowed. I used all factory parts in my front end since the other was out of my budget. mtmuley
I’m not sure it will get a lift, 3/4 tons sit up pretty well with just a leveling kit. When it gets here I will give it the once over and make a plan.

I’m not sure it will get a lift, 3/4 tons sit up pretty well with just a leveling kit. When it gets here I will give it the once over and make a plan.
The Cognito kit for leveling is really heavy duty. And only a couple inches I think. I upgraded to Bilsteins in my stock truck and they helped a lot. mtmuley

@Addicting I'm sure you've been researching this, but the 99s had some quirks. First year for the chip in the key and security system that had problems. You can program it out when you do the ls swap. Also, check and see if the brakes got the service bulletin addressed for the rear brakes. It required a new proportioning valve you can't get anymore and they all look exactly the same, thanks GM.
I had a 99 sub 2500 similar to that and got real deep into some of the bizarre electrical on mine. Sold it a year ago.
I already want another one to ls swap thanks to your post. A 94 2500 with 147k on it for 3,000 has been tempting me lately.
Good luck with the project! Are you still going to swap in the 6 speed or leave the 4l80 in it?

@Addicting I'm sure you've been researching this, but the 99s had some quirks. First year for the chip in the key and security system that had problems. You can program it out when you do the ls swap. Also, check and see if the brakes got the service bulletin addressed for the rear brakes. It required a new proportioning valve you can't get anymore and they all look exactly the same, thanks GM.
I had a 99 sub 2500 similar to that and got real deep into some of the bizarre electrical on mine. Sold it a year ago.
I already want another one to ls swap thanks to your post. A 94 2500 with 147k on it for 3,000 has been tempting me lately.
Good luck with the project! Are you still going to swap in the 6 speed or leave the 4l80 in it?
Thanks I was unaware of those issues. I will look into them.

It will get a 6.0 and 6l80e. I have that combo already sitting in the barn that I had from another project. I have a V20 square body that I will inherit someday. That 454 and 4l80e will be a huge upgrade for it. Seeing that one is a summer car show type truck the crappy mileage won’t be a problem.

Things are happening, slowly but surely getting there.

The whole grill assembly and headlights were all cracked and faded. It all got pitched for new replacements. The trans was burnt and was puking fluid out.

The 454 is going to be kept for another project, it is in need of some TLC. Rubber seals from 1999 are showing their age with leaks everywhere. I am currently working on pulling it and the harness. It will need to get sent out for the 6.0ls. There is a place in Florida that builds new harnesses for this swap.
IMG_2600.jpegIMG_2603.jpeg

Last edited:
Had the day off so the engine got pulled. The harness was packaged and is off to Current Performance in Florida to get done.

I cleaned up my mess in the barn and degreased the engine bay. Fired up the pressure washer and proceeded to get covered in gunk and grease. The pick below is afterwards when I applied the second coat of degreaser. I need to go rent one of the steam pressure washers to spray it next.

IMG_2606.jpegIMG_2616.jpeg

Looks nice and secure!
Until I turned left and it wanted to smash my window. Lol

Just need to get the transfer case done and then I can plug it in the truck.

It’s gonna take some work though. Probably the most disgusting one I’ve ever split. It’s like slime covered concrete in there from the clutches burning up.

I’m 90% at just ordering a reman one.

IMG_2889.jpegIMG_2891.jpegIMG_2890.jpeg

Yeah, that's pretty nasty!
I have it soaking in a parts washer to see if it will soften it up. It has a slime on the outside but is powdery underneath. In the close up you can see that where I scraped into it with a screwdriver. I’ve never seen anything like this.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back