Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Big game cal.

My .02, a 300. Start with a Winchester, Weatherby or a RUM. Got or had all of them, working with a Weathermark right now. Put a brake on it if you must, but any one of them will handle anything in NA.

I'm decidedly a .308 guy. I've used a lot of different guns over the years but I always tend to gravitate back to the .308 for general purpose big game hunting. Everybody's got their own likes, there are many things to choose from, .308's my thing. Not too big, not too small, just right for most applications.

I would only use that for chipmunks, way too much risk when they charge by not going with enough gun.
Does the 500 Nitro have a RUM variant? I think a 500 Nitro RUM would be the new minimum for MN whitetail at 30 yards out of a tree stand. Those hundreds of thousands of dead deer "supposedly killed by a 30-30" over the last 80 years must be more fake news.

All banter aside, if you are a one gun hunter who is comfortable shooting a .308 but doesn't like his rifle. And who after the switch is going to be a one gun hunter again anyway, then the answer is to buy a new Tikka T3X lite in .308. Doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Alot of good info here. Other things to think about is rifle fit, weight, functionality. Are you making long shots or hunting brush? Do you want a flat shooting rifle? Do you prefer a long action, short action, bolt or lever action? Me personally I have bolt actions in a short and a long action. I have a 7mm-08 Rem and a .280 Rem. Both are very capable rounds with lots of options in bullet weight when looking at reloading. I chose the rifles I did because they are a bit different from the most common round. I think going forward I will be looking at the .280 AI. I guess it is all up to your own personal preference. If you know someone that has a .300 and would let you squeeze off a few rounds I would suggest giving it a try, never know, you might like it.

There are so many perfectly fine all around calibers for big game hunting, just grab one and go hunting. The only big game rifle I have ever owned is a Remington Model 700 BDL in .270Win. It has always done its job if I did my part.

This fall while chatting with another hunter at a trailhead, I mentioned that was the caliber I've used for all my big game hunting. He assured me it was too small for elk. That hasn't been my experience at all.

Get anything that has a powder capacity of a 7x57 or more in whatever bore size and case length that scratches your itch. One works much like another.

I’m not sure what your hunting style is but it’s pretty tough to beat the .308 for a do all rifle without the punishing recoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back