Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Big Fin?

Obviously, it depends on how far, how much weight, landing permits, etc. For the episodes where we have done this, it is about $700 per person, start to finish, all inclusive.

I know that is out of the budget of some, and I considered before we do the episodes. But, the feedback has been very positive in showing people that if you put your mind to it, you can access the public elk on public lands, in many different ways.

So would it be more cost effective too pay too cross private but not hunt on it, a trespass fee?
Matt

In the case of those ranches, it would cost you over $10K. So, I guess the answer is, "No, it wouldn't be cheaper."

Those episodes are awesome by the way. What a great strategy and $700 isn't bad at all. I should have hired a chopper when I tried the MT unlimited bighorn units!

Wait a minute... a trespass fee of 10 grand...? You mean to hunt the property, not to trespass.

Trespass to me is go across their property to the public...if that different ?

I'm sure they are not going to charge you less to cross the property than they charge to hunt it. I've never seen that anyway.

I'm sure they are not going to charge you less to cross the property than they charge to hunt it. I've never seen that anyway.

Ah..so to trespass is to hunt...got it. So of course $700 is cheaper...but I still don't have $700 to spend on a heli ride either :)

$700 is not bad! Non residents pay $800+ just for a tag. If you're a resident or non-resident not needing to pay for an outfitter this is a really fair price. The son of a friend of ours shot his Ram in the Breaks last year (this years spring issue of EHJ) and the landowner charged the guy $1000 to cross his property to retrieve it. The son is 12 years old...and the farmer/landowner had plenty of advanced noticed. He charged a 12 year old $1000 so the lil' guy could go get his Ram and the father paid gladly for his boy. So $10K doesn't surprise me at all. $700 for a helo starts to look mighty enticing when you look at the alternative which for pretty much everyone isn't even an option.

I was told it is illegal to access public land using a helicopter? I had a buddy who was looking at doing it on Ted Turners land because there was some land locked public land and he was told by FWP it would be illegal.

John

I was told it is illegal to access public land using a helicopter? I had a buddy who was looking at doing it on Ted Turners land because there was some land locked public land and he was told by FWP it would be illegal.

John

I'm proof it's legal. Going on 8 years hunting the spot BF hunts and Fwp follows me around in there and visits my camp on a regular basis. No violations yet.

WW---It's illegal in a designated wilderness area where there are no motors allowed, no carts, bikes. etc. The only way to access those areas legally is by foot or on horseback.

John

That does not apply to BLM land, if you use a chopper service WITH a BLM landing permit. For most Forest Service and state trust lands, your statement is correct. Most of the land that is surrounded by Turner properties is Forest Service.

Different rules regarding the different agencies. Or, at least that is what I was told by those agencies when we investigated all of this.

If you have an airplane, like Wingman, the rules are different than with helicopters.

Each agency has different rules, for each type of aircraft, and each jurisdication within that agency might have a different interpretation.

Or, circumvent all of the above and drop your gear out of the bird all packed nice in your Yeti (They are indestructible right?) and fast rope out like the SAS. Heli never touches the dirt....of course that makes your extraction VERY interesting. :D

Attachments

• saleboard-SPIE-N-8.jpg
    saleboard-SPIE-N-8.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 407
If you really wanted to get technical, the chopper could hover two feet above the ground and never officially land.

There is no way most of the big ranches will let you cross to public land unless you are one of their clients.

Oh yes, he asked if the chopper didn't land and he just jumped out (a couple of feet) was this legal, nope. But you are right I am sure if depended on what the land was. state, forest service, etc.

Thanks.

I'd like to see that hold up in court, the jumping out of the chopper deal... I mean, come on... give me a break. I guess rules are rules though.

WW---It's illegal in a designated wilderness area where there are no motors allowed, no carts, bikes. etc. The only way to access those areas legally is by foot or on horseback.

You are full of shit and don't have a clue what you are talking about.

I have accessed Wilderness Areas hundreds of times by means other than foot or horseback.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back