MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Big Changes Coming

I don't know chit about UT hunting. I did find the attachment interesting though. page 41 and 43 of the PDF. Predation by mt lions was 45% of predator mortality. The other was preg rate, they had marks for cow elk that were 22-26 years old? I had no idea they could live that long in the wild. I thought they pretty much topped out around 15.

Please see the attached for the information that'll be voted on in the upcoming RAC meetings. BIG BIG BIG changes could be coming down the pipeline for elk hunters in Utah.

Lots of information to digest! The RAC meetings will be interesting to attend . . . bring some popcorn.
Wow. interested to see how this unfolds. I have 25 elk points and it's looking like I should be thinking about how to get this hunt done sometime soon.

Does anybody know what the quotas will be, coming for 2023?
Those get finalized at the Wildlife Board meeting in early April. They usually have some tentative, but final always changes after the draw deadline. It would be nice if they allowed you to go in and modify your application once they finalize the quotas.

Those get finalized at the Wildlife Board meeting in early April. They usually have some tentative, but final always changes after the draw deadline. It would be nice if they allowed you to go in and modify your application once they finalize the quotas.
So we'll have zero idea if there's enough permits for a bonus point license per unit with the new mid-season limited quota hunts? If that's the case - I'm a bowhunter.

If that's the case, Non residents might not even know if there's a bonus point license in any of the 3 ALW seasons. Crap shoot.

Kurt,

Before I submitted my application in 2022, I called the unit biologist a couple of times and got a lot of reassurance about the status of the herd, cow/bull ratio, etc. He gave me his insight about the one potential bonus point tag for the hunt I was applying for. It helped ease my concerns.

It was an outstanding hunt! Hope that helps.

So we'll have zero idea if there's enough permits for a bonus point license per unit with the new mid-season limited quota hunts? If that's the case - I'm a bowhunter.

If that's the case, Non residents might not even know if there's a bonus point license in any of the 3 ALW seasons. Crap shoot.
Yup. It sucks that we can't modify once the final quotas are approved. @Buschy might have a good path for some insight.

The 2023 quotas will be out prior to the new 2023 application dates.

Years past we have always applied not know the quote set aside for NR the state changed that for this year by pushing back the application deadline so we can actually apply for units with permits available to NR.

So did they rid of the option to apply on the same license for two years in a row? I was going to try and apply before my 2022 license expires on 2/19 but the application period doesnt open until 3/23??

I cant find that answer anywhere, years past as you all know you only had to by a license every 2 years.

So did they rid of the option to apply on the same license for two years in a row? I was going to try and apply before my 2022 license expires on 2/19 but the application period doesnt open until 3/23??

I cant find that answer anywhere, years past as you all know you only had to by a license every 2 years.
I've been curious about this as well. Not that I'd let my points lapse, but it would certainly change the cost of my Utah apps each year.

You will need a new license for 2023 which will be good for the 2024 app period if you purchase late in the 2023 app period. Only needs to be valid when you apply, not needed to hunt.

Damn ok, bummer they are skipping a year.
They aren’t skipping a year just last year we had to apply for the draw earlier in the year and apply blindly not knowing as a NR if we were going to even have a tag issued for the unit and species we applied for. They took care of that problem by allowing us to apply later in the year after they have set up
The quotas, but that caused everyone to have a expired license before they can apply and get the two for one deal meaning everyone will have to buy a license this year and next year we will be back on schedule for our two for one.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back