NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Big Belts Advice

wtrfwlhunter

Moved to MT last year and spent most my time hunting ducks and fly fishing around the Helena area because of how much tags cost for Non Res. I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd post up, been doing some research and I've decided on applying for the big belts (not the seperate northern area) mainly because the large amount of national forest, and based on what I've seen it looks like there will be a large amount of hunters for both deer and elk so I'm planning on hiking as far away as possible.

For those who have hunted or know about this unit is there good numbers of deer and elk in the back-country public land, or is this primarily an elk unit? I plan on mainly hunting for mule deer but will also be carrying a general elk tag and general deer, I will be spending a lot of time scouting over the summer and am considering looking at the northern end for starters?

Thanks for the help, if anybody needs some help with Nevada waterfowl, deer ,or Elk I might be able to offer some advice.

Guessing I'm missing something but what unit are you talking about?

Low deer quality and quantity, high numbers of roads, hunters, and rowdy camps. Decent for mountain grouse though. Most of the elk move onto large blocks of private land during archery season. One of the most crowded units within an hours drive of Helena.

I think he is talking about applying for a permit for buck mule deer and will do some elk hunting on the side???

gotcha, I think that's an unlimited tag though isn't it? I'd spect it gets pounded?

It is unlimited and yes it gets pounded. I spend some time over there but not hunting deer and elk. I saw a 4 point mule deer there. Once.

Have hunted there, yup gets hit pretty hard but motly road hunters and short distance hikers. Quite a few deer and elk but ya gotta get back in for them, Seen some nice muleys up there. Good elk also but they do head for private quick, if not already there. The seem to know, don't they? No matter what the weather is doing they seem to stay low just off private.

gotcha, I think that's an unlimited tag though isn't it? I'd spect it gets pounded?

Yeah I mostly want to hunt buck mule deer which is permit only and an unlimited number of tags but, I will also be carrying my general elk tag which is good for a branch antlered bull in that unit.

That's disheartening to hear the deer hunting is so bad, I guess I've gotten that feeling from every area around Helena others I was looking at were 343, and 335., less hunter visits annually I'm guessing because of less elk. Haven't put in the apps for my family yet so maybe back to the drawing board.

Have hunted there, yup gets hit pretty hard but motly road hunters and short distance hikers. Quite a few deer and elk but ya gotta get back in for them, Seen some nice muleys up there. Good elk also but they do head for private quick, if not already there. The seem to know, don't they? No matter what the weather is doing they seem to stay low just off private.

The part of the wilderness area that extends into some of the unit is what interests me the most...

Looks like 755 people got the tags last year

Do you live in and near to Helena and or why that unit?

Looks like 755 people got the tags last year

Do you live in and near to Helena and or why that unit?

Live in Helena, I was considering the 392 area more so than others like 343, and 335 because for the most part 392 all National Forest with some wilderness area.

Last edited:
Ahhh. My seventy two year old buddy was in there last year and said he saw some real nice bucks. missed one and couldn't get on the others. Are ya planning on going in off Hauser? Couple of folk have told me they've seen some monsters in there. Haven't hunted that far north yet, been mostly around Avalanche. Sorry.

Yeah, Im thinking off of Upper Holt. and Hauser past the game reserve and into that natl Forrest and wilderness around there.

Thanks for the input

Moved to MT last year and spent most my time hunting ducks and fly fishing around the Helena area because of how much tags cost for Non Res. I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd post up, been doing some research and I've decided on applying for the big belts (not the seperate northern area) mainly because the large amount of national forest, and based on what I've seen it looks like there will be a large amount of hunters for both deer and elk so I'm planning on hiking as far away as possible.

For those who have hunted or know about this unit is there good numbers of deer and elk in the back-country public land, or is this primarily an elk unit? I plan on mainly hunting for mule deer but will also be carrying a general elk tag and general deer, I will be spending a lot of time scouting over the summer and am considering looking at the northern end for starters?

Thanks for the help, if anybody needs some help with Nevada waterfowl, deer ,or Elk I might be able to offer some advice.

PM sent

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lincoln's Poppi
Back