PEAX Equipment

Big belt mountains

Wapitiwarrior

Hey guys, I'm planning to head out west again this year to hunt elk during archery season. Planning on hunting the southern part of the big belts in Montana ... ive hunted in the area before but never really went deep. This year were gonna do a backpack style hunt. Anybody have experience in this area? How is the elk population? Can you get away from people? I've read a few other threads and people say it's over run... but that seems to be what I hear about every general season/over the counter area. ANY tips or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

I hunt the big belts a fair amount. Lots of big bulls on the south end, also a lot of private. you will likely need to be north of deep creek (highway 12) to benefit from packing in. Good luck.

^^^^ Don't think your going to pack in and be away from others. And yes it seems to have drawn more people in the past 5 years. Not because everyone is killing bulls, but probably because other areas being ate out by wolves/bears and it shows high elk numbers. But they re mostly on private. But we have spiked it into different spots for over nights, just to avoid the hour in the dark walks in and out.

I hunt the big belts a fair amount. Lots of big bulls on the south end, also a lot of private. you will likely need to be north of deep creek (highway 12) to benefit from packing in. Good luck.

Sent you a pm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back