Caribou Gear

Best Way to Check Rifle Zero on Out of State Hunt

Huntforadventure

Greetings All,

This year I am traveling from upstate NY to CO for my first out of state Elk hunt. In doing so, I will be there a few days early to scout and learn the land a little bit. I would also like to verify that my rifle is still zeroed once I arrive after 1800 miles of travel. I am looking for a little advice about what others do if they travel a long ways and have to check their rifle. Where to go etc.

Thanks everyone.

Find some BLM or forest service land, and have at it. CO has plenty of both.

Find some BLM or forest service land, and have at it. CO has plenty of both.

^^^ Exactly. Bring a paper target in your bag and once you get past the front range find some public land and check your zero.

A laser bore sight at a known distance and position in your reticle is a good check to see if things are way off.

If you're coming to one of the Gunnison Basin units, the local Sportsman's Association has what they call "Sight-in Days". $5 per rifle at local gun range.

Last edited:
It only takes ten minutes to pull off the road on public land, find a safe back drop, put up a paper target at 100 yards, lay over your pack and confirm your zero. Pick up your target and your brass and continue your hunt. Don't over complicate this.

It only takes ten minutes to pull off the road on public land, find a safe back drop, put up a paper target at 100 yards, lay over your pack and confirm your zero. Pick up your target and your brass and continue your hunt. Don't over complicate this.

^^^
This, i would avoid ranges like the plague after my experience last year.
Cheers
Richard

Like most others have said. Find some BLM or FS land and a safe place to shoot and pop off a few.

That's the sweet thing about living in the west, we don't have all kinds of uptight rules about where you can shoot. Just pull over on public land, be safe, and clean up your mess before you leave.

Back