Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best state for my first elk hunt?

PAWOODS

Any recommendations for which state would be the best for my first elk hunt. Would be rifle or muzzleloader but would probably leave the flintlocks at home. Non resident from PA, would be driving out, and don't believe in magnums or muzzlebrakes. Interested in mule deer too.

You leave that pretty wide open! I'm from PA and have been out west numerous times for elk. It all depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking for a guided hunt, or DIY? If DIY, CO has a lot of public land and no grizzlies, whereas WY has grizzlies. In CO rifle, it will look similar to the PA rifle deer season on the first day, but if you hike a mile, you'll get away from people. If you're looking for guided, do a hell of a lot of research on the outfitters and make sure that the references that they give you are from the last year or two, not 5 years ago as a lot can change in 5 years. CO has some outfitters enrolled in the Ranching for Wildlife program where they control the seasons since they lease or own a lot of land. For example, you could hunt with a rifle from September till probably December, as compared to the general seasons which run the month of October. Provide more information on what you're looking for, and people will reply.

Jay

Colorado. Lots of OTC tags in good units. They have more elk than many states combined. bring your rife. One good option like PaJay said, is a RFW tag. Noting wrong with getting a cow tag the first time out. ( or anytime)

Are you going solo? I grew up hunting whitetail yet elk were very different. A significant learning curve as terrain was steeper, air thinner, critters much bigger when on the ground, roads a lot further to pack from/to, gear needed to be better including optics, and animal behavior was different. I suggest going with a seasoned elk hunter or hiring a guide to make the adventure much more likely to include shot opportunities. Even CO residents further along the learning curve with more time to hunt still struggle to fill OTC tags. Rifle success for Limited and OTC rifle elk combined was 20% in 2016. That is 1 in 5 hunters but probably 80% of the bulls taken were by elk hunters that routinely get shot opportunities every year. You will spend $2000 or more door to door even if solo if include all costs such as wear and tear on gear. The learning curve is real and humbles newbies as patterns can change year to year so need depth of knowledge when Plan A is not working this hunt.

I was a new elk hunter two years ago and traveled from MN. I've been to WY twice. Once on a leftover cow tag and again on a general tag. I believe that WY is a great state. I've crossed griz in WY twice and they ran from me both times. I had the items needed to protect myself and they were not needed. DOn't be afraid of bears. Respect them and know they are there, but don't plan your hunts around them.
CO and ID have true OTC tags. CO has the most elk but they also have the most hunters and very tight seasons. SInce you're likely only making one trip out west each year, season length likely won't make much difference. You will run into other hunters though.

My suggestion aligns with those above. Decide what type of trip you're looking for.
From the road or backcountry, cow or bull, meat or trophy, alpine, woods, desert....

Once you have imagined your ideal trip, then that narrows the field quite a bit. If the goal is opportunity, plan your trip for this year. CO or ID, both have OTC elk tags with rifle and many have mule deer tags at the same time. Get after it!!!

I have limited experience hunting elk (only got 1), but my strategy would be:

1) Buy a point for Wyoming now, and apply for a general tag this January.

2) If you don't draw Wyoming, apply in NM (cost a little $$ though).

3) If you don't draw NM, then your fallback is CO, ID, or possibly MT.

I'm hunting other species this year, but the above will likely be my strategy for next season.

This is exactly what I'm planning to do for my first diy elk hunt next year.

I have limited experience hunting elk (only got 1), but my strategy would be:

1) Buy a point for Wyoming now, and apply for a general tag this January.

2) If you don't draw Wyoming, apply in NM (cost a little $$ though).

3) If you don't draw NM, then your fallback is CO, ID, or possibly MT.

I'm hunting other species this year, but the above will likely be my strategy for next season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back