Best state for a non resdient youth

Kiwi

Last year I started buying Wyoming pronghorn, deer and elk points for my daughter for a planned hunt in about 5 years.

But I have seen states have elk youth hunts and that got me thinking that perhaps I should look at building points in one of these state e.g. New Mexico, Colorado.

I will keep researching my options but if you have any insight to which state offers the best elk tags (cost, trophy potential, choice of units) for non resident youth I would appreciate any input. My daughter will have 5 points when she applies. Thanks.

Last edited:
Colorado is a must for your kid.The NR youth elk tag will be $100,and 5 points will get her a good hunt.I personally do Wy and Co for my son along with Maine for moose

New Mexico and Idaho do not have point systems. So you cant save points and then dump them when you wish. No-one has preference over you, even the guys that have been putting in their whole lives, you just draw when you get lucky. Really, its the best type of tag allocation system. But it makes it tough when someone is trying to plan a hunt years in advance.

Idaho has the best deal by far for kids. Less than $100.00 for a non resident youth, 12 thru 17, for a hunting license, deer tag, and elk tag, with some cash left over!

Great info, thanks! I'll have a look at buying points in CO. NM and Idaho sound like very good options for future draws. I might even look at applying for NM myself for next year.

As far as costs go, Nebraska has token costs associated with youth licenses (Oh the horror, they have raised the price from $5 to a whopping $7)

Just found out a couple of weeks ago, but if you are interested in whitetails, license/tags in Kentucky are FREE until a kiddo is 12. I'm gonna spend some time/effort this winter to try to find a place to take my boys next year.

Idaho has the best deal by far for kids. Less than $100.00 for a non resident youth, 12 thru 17, for a hunting license, deer tag, and elk tag, with some cash left over!

+100 Idaho's Youth Mentor program is awesome. Plus ID had tags OTC.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back