Best Hunting Equipment. Opinions?

Does a Camelback water reservoir fit in the crew cab, you don't have to buy the MR one to specifically fit in it do you? The price isn't that much different though.

Does a Camelback water reservoir fit in the crew cab, you don't have to buy the MR one to specifically fit in it do you? The price isn't that much different though.

They fit. The Crew Cab has a loop at the top for hanging the water bladder inside.

Get a Good pack...and decent rain gear...doesn't have to be Sitka...I would spend some of you camo money on a Great backpack...then buy decent camo...Kryptek, Russell, Under Armour are a bit less expensive...and you can get a good fit out of them. You don't have to have Kuiu or Sitka to kill animals, but you will wish you had decent pack when you back is loaded full.
That said, if you have the money, Sitka is worth it...

Get a Good pack...and decent rain gear...doesn't have to be Sitka...I would spend some of you camo money on a Great backpack...then buy decent camo...Kryptek, Russell, Under Armour are a bit less expensive...and you can get a good fit out of them. You don't have to have Kuiu or Sitka to kill animals, but you will wish you had decent pack when you back is loaded full.
That said, if you have the money, Sitka is worth it...
I second this! Two things that I've come to learn not to skimp on; backpacks and boots. They gotta fit!! Though they are far from high tech, Cabela's Microtex clothing makes for a very affordable and good set of basic outwear. Won't protect you like some of the membrane or softshell materials, but it's cheap, dries super fast, and works in a wide variety of temps.

Multi Cam works great to for us GI's. I'm used to wearing it, its comfortable and I have a couple totes full.

I had been wearing Sitka since it first came out in the Mothwing pattern, so I never did try the newer stuff. But last year I bought and wore the Kuiu clothing. The Kuiu is higher quality and is less expensive than Sitka, so I'm not sure how you can go wrong. It is sewn in Canada also instead of China.

I just ordered a Mystery Ranch Longbow recently and it will be hear Thursday. I've been wanting a MR pack for a long time so I can't wait. I must have looked at the MR picture thread on here 100 times.

Buy a mystery ranch pack and you will never look back! They hold the weight very well and the crew cab is very versitale, you wont be disappointed. Like said before get good rain gear, you dont want to have to cut a hunt short because of the rain. I have tried most brands and Kuiu is by far the best I have used, but there are several brands in different price ranges so I would check out as many as possible.

I'll pretty much be repeating what everyone else has said, but I'll do it anyways...

I've used multiple Badlands and Eberlestock packs, and about a year ago tried the MR Longbow and Crew Cab. I haven't looked back! MR beats the others in fit, function, comfort, and durability. My biggest dilemma is whether to carry my Longbow or Crew Cab. In my mind it is worth saving up the money and buying the best.

In regards to Sitka, yes, it is expensive and there are cheaper alternatives, many of which I've tried, but for when you are out for the day or multiple days miles away from the truck, especially in inclement weather, Sitka shines.

I would also check out KUIU though. I own and have used both. My friends ask me which I like better, and so far the best answer I've come up with is whichever I'm wearing that particular day. :D

KUIU is a bit more minimalist (in regards to features/pockets) than Sitka, and thus weighs less garment for garment. KUIU retail also beats Sitka retail price, but if you pick up Sitka at end of year sales or used, you can do pretty good.

I guess I'm able to justify the high price of the technical clothing due to the fact over a week long hunt, if it is raining/snowing 2 of those days, the technical clothing can make the difference as to whether you end up hunting only 5 days or all 7 days of your hunt. When I look forward to and plan a hunt all year, I want to maximize the time in the field. Out of all the other gear I use during a hunt, my clothing and boots are the items I use the most during the hunt, even more than my pack, optics, and other gear. I have multiple friends who scoffed at me for spending over $100 bucks on a pair of technical pants only to try them on or purchase a pair for themselves and realize there is a huge difference between the higher end technical pants and the current pants they were wearing. When the pants tend to move with you and stretch and not bind, or dry quickly when wet, it is much more enjoyable.

Ron

I gave my new Badlands pack away after one trip!!! Mystery Ranch Crewcab has been the best pack I have used. Hauled out a whole Blacktail buck after dark on a valley bowhunt last season....Legs were sore the next day, but my back never screamed once!

You dont have to buy the whole line of Sitka gear, to get a good result. The ascent or 90% pants, and Stratus or Jetstream Jackets work best for the hunting I do. But for your style may be different, thus you may be happier with something different. Dont look at it as clothing...it really is gear like their ad says. When you;'re cold and miserable, you would probably pay double for the good stuff....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back