Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best Hunting Equipment. Opinions?

merrell311

I'm new to the site and am trying to get some opinions on what you think the best gear option would be. I'm based out of Utah, and am primarily an archery hunter. I hunt mule deer and elk pretty aggressively every year.

1) I'm thinking of upgrading my camo to all Sitka Gear, but am wondering if it's worth the extra expense? Any thoughts?

2) My backpack is need of an upgrade also. I've narrowed it down to either Badlands or Eberlestock, but since I havent owned either brand, I dont have much to go off of. Any thoughts?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't know anything about Sitka gear, but I do know that the vast majority of hunting wear is so noisy that I wouldn't expect to be able to sneak within bow range of a deer or elk while wearing it. I hunt blacktail deer and roosevelt elk in the coast range where there is a lot of brush and any noise is too much. I wear only polar fleece and expect to get wet if its raining much. I even had to make my hunting pack myself because there was nothing available that was quiet. Even the fleece packs were covered with nylon straps on the outside, and had bare nylon shoulder straps. Before buying anything give it the scatch test...if you can hear it you can bet the critters can.

I have used Sitka gear long before they were associated with the show. I paid full retail, for me and guest hunters to have it. Not because I wanted to spend some money, but because I needed the gear I know could withstand 100 days a year of being put through the course. I used it for the the first three seasons, completely on my dime. Why? Because it works that good for the applications intended.

I don't wear my pack when I am going in on a stalk. I drop it and sneak in. So, noise is not an issue for me, like it is for others with different hunting styles. Performance and durability are my priority. Like Jose said, there is not a better performing or more durable hunting pack than a Mystery Ranch.

Good luck in your search.

Russell and eberlestock is what I run. If i had the extra coin I'd take a look at the sitka and mr products but I'm a cheapskate. Found most of it on sale at linton outdoors. Chad has always treated me right and he sells the sitka line as well.

Just my opinion, but Sitka stuff isn't worth the price, (at least for my budget) but Mystery Ranch is.

The Sitka patterns have the correct amount of contrast and the fabric has a soft tone that blends well in the field. Unfortunately most of their line is too warm for me, and they are generally out of my price range. I do like the Russell APX apparel for light weight quiet fabric at a reasonable price.
I have been very happy with my Eberlestock X1 pack. I use it for overnight archery and as a day pack in cold weather. It protects my gun or bow well while hiking, but allows easy access when I need it. You wouldn't go wrong with a Badlands or Mystery Ranch pack either. I think the decision comes down to getting the pack that is configured for you.
I have also experienced good customer service from Linton Outdoors.

If you have any questions on Sitka, go to their site and check them out. It sold me, I just bought an entire system, and can't wait. I haven't used any of the packs but don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I recently bought an Ebrlestock J107 pack. Although I have not used it on a hunt I have been hiking with it with weights in it. The pack is sturdy and comfortable. I do not have any personal knowledge of Mystery Ranch but have not heard one bad thing about them.

I just got an email today that my MR Crewcab shipped. It is going to replace my Eberlestock J107. I will let you know what I think.

I have a set of Sitka Ascent pants, love them. They are good alone when it is hot, and layer well when it cools off.

Last edited:
Sitka-I own the original mothwing pattern stuff, and its' held up very well over the last few years. It will be time to replace it soon, and I think the KUIU stuff looks great. The new Sitka stuff is crazy expensive, unless you can find it on sale. I have a real hard time justifying that kind of money for their opitfade pattern. I will admit that the stuff does seem really well built, though, and if money were not an issue, I would probably take a closer look.
Their gore-tex stuff seems very loud as well. Maybe someone will chime in on that. KUIU seems to have gotten a pretty good reception this past season, and the direct to customer model keeps their prices lower. You might look into it...

Badlands-I have the daypack and it will go on Ebay soon. Not cause its a bad pack but because I intend to replace it with one of the Mystery Ranch packs.

Eberlestock-Ditto. I have used my J1 pack a lot the last few years. It's taken out a couple elk now, and done a fine job of it. Its a good pack, and very quiet, if that's an issue for you. Where it's not so great is as a backpack for all your gear. Just don't like how it packs when its loaded down.

I would check into the Russell gear. Check into Predator camo as well. Utah (your location) and primarily early season conditions should dictate what you would purchase for upgrades re: clothing.

Second. Like mdunc8 said : save yer money on a 'system' and put it towards an MR pack.
If you do not need to save?, go buy you some new gear man, and let us know when you get that pack!

I have been really happy with every purchase I have made from Kuiu. Comparing it to Sitka gear, I find the Kuiu to be built better (seams, stitching, etc.) at a more reasonable price. Also, Sitka gear never seems to fit me right, it is made for an athletic-fit, and while I don't consider myself un-athletic, the Sitka gear seems to bind and restrict motion. Another good company for clothing to look into is Core-4, great pricing and good quality products, specifically their base layers.

I haven't held a mystery ranch pack in hand, but I do have an Icon 600 from Kuiu and I like it thus far. That being said, I only hear good things about mystery ranch.

If you don't have a budget I don't think you can go wrong with Sitka or Kuiu gear. If you do I think that Russel and Core-4-Element are great values. I wear mostly Russell and it has all worked great.

I currently have an Eberlestock J-34 pack and it has done the job, but I hope to upgrade sometime soon. The Eberlestock just doesn't hold the heavier weights like I hoped. I've tried out a few other packs with 80 lbs loaded, including Kuiu, MR, and Oregon Pack Works. The MR and OPW definately felt the best with that weight in it. In the next couple years I will end up with one of those 2 or Kifaru.

I have been bowhunting for 9 years with the same camo and all I have ever done is replace a zipper in the jacket. They do need replacing this year, but I only paid $70 for the set, so I feel it was money well spent. Most camo is way over priced and it's up to you if you want to spend a ton of cash on Sitka.

I cannot really speak to backpacks, but can't see myself spending 300-600 dollars on a backpack, but then again I have never hunted like others have where you need all those extra items in case you get stuck out in the field.

Have fun shopping.

A good pack has nothing to do with carrying around a bunch of gear. However, it makes all the difference in the world when you're carrying a rear quarter from a bull down the mountain. Go to Walmart and buy a pack, throw 80-100lbs of meat in it and see how it feels. Then find a pack designed to carry that kind of load. It won't take long to tell the difference.

I think a lot of you would laugh at my clothing "system" :) i will not skimp pn a pack or boots however.

Take a look at the Blacks Creek Packs. We have packed out several Elk so far and no problems. Lots of straps to tighten/secure the load to your body. I have the Canadian Pack and don't have any complaints.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back