Best Colorado Archery OTC Unit

NorthMN27

What is everyone's thoughts on the best OTC unit for archery. My Brother and I are planning our first elk hunt for next year and have been doing a lot of research trying to figure out what unit would be best we have been looking at units 31, 62, and 521. What are your thoughts on these units? Is there another we should be looking at? We are not looking for a world class elk(would be nice to get one though!) just want to get some chances at some Bulls. Thanks!!!

I just did a 2nd season rifle elk hunt in a unit with 28% odds and never saw an elk on public land. There are far too many variables to determine a 'best' unit to try and plan this far ahead. Weather is a huge factor. Our unit was unseasonable warm and dry for spring and summer and it pushed the elk into the irrigated alfalfa fields on private land. You never know ahead of time where a fire is going to break out in the summer either. As far as units...pretty much any unit west of 25 will hold elk. It all depends on how far you want to hike from roads and trails and other people, on top of every other factor that can come into play.

I'm not a good elk hunter, but I've seem to run into an equal number of elk in pretty much every unit I've been at in Colorado...both ones with higher success rate and those with low success rate. It also depends what kind of experience you want to have...wilderness, away from crowds or just purely want to have a best chance at an elk. 62 is one of the most popular units in the state in terms of number of hunters so may not be a wilderness type experience, but there must be elk there if that many people always go there.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at success rates is the amount of public land.If a unit has 28% success but only 50% public land,you can have a decent idea where the most success comes from.Now if you take 20% and over 80% public,now you have my interest.Bull to cow ratio is also extremely important.Go back and look into some other variables other then success on the units your interested in.A call this winter to a biologist there will get you alot better answers then hoping someone on here will say "yeah,I hunt there and it's awesome".That's not normally going to happen.I've never elk hunted in any of your mentioned units so I can't help other then what I just gave you
good luck

Another thing to keep in mind. Your on a public forum asking for the best OTC unit. A unit anyone can go pick up a tag and hunt, not a hard to draw tag that one only gets to hunt once or twice.

I just quickly looked up your units.They offer a bit of differences.In 62 your in more brushy canyon country,and alot of roads,70% public with 13% success archery.If your willing to get off roads aways and glass you could do great here
31 had 57% public with 16%success and pretty good bull to cow ratio.
Then you have 521 with 55% public but this holds high country wilderness.It has 29/100 bull to cow which is excellent but only 10% success last year,but the 5 year average is much better.With the way I like to archery hunt,this would be my choice hands down.You can hike it and lose the crowds,and I think the success depends on you here.If you hunt hard,and live up in the wilderness for 7-10 days I would bet you get at least one chance at a bull.
If you prefer to road camp and be more mobile,then I'd say 62 would be your best choice.There you can change canyons daily till you find elk.But,I think when you find them there with the pressure,you will be in for a pack out you won't soon forget.Maybe look at randy hunt from last year,which was close to here,for an example of what your in for
So how do you prefer to hunt?????

I was leaning more towards 521 because of the wilderness and the ability to get farther away from trails and roads. I have a mountaineering background so I'm not afraid to hike to find the Elk. I guess "best" unit was the wrong way to put it I was just curious if those would be good ones for a first time Elk Hunter. I know Colorado has elk everywhere!

The one you know the best. Success rates aside, knowing the terrain and knowing where the animals like to go is far more useful than picking a mythical "best" unit.

^^^.With an otc tag you can hunt it every year while gaining pts for maybe a little better hunt.I think any unit you mentioned would get better every year you hunted it.Learning where the people and elk like to be takes time.But,more then one person has got lucky and landed on a hot spot their 1st trip.Learn what to look for and you put the odds in your favor.Learn how to speak the language and the odds get better.Remember 10% of hunters take 90% game.I think you'll do really well in the unit you chose

I would pick a Colorado unit based on the terrain I liked to hunt and then keep going back and learning it. Low canyons versus high alpine, thick pines versus aspen or broken open country.

One thing to keep in mind when looking at success rates is the amount of public land.If a unit has 28% success but only 50% public land,you can have a decent idea where the most success comes from.Now if you take 20% and over 80% public,now you have my interest.Bull to cow ratio is also extremely important.Go back and look into some other variables other then success on the units your interested in.A call this winter to a biologist there will get you alot better answers then hoping someone on here will say "yeah,I hunt there and it's awesome".That's not normally going to happen.I've never elk hunted in any of your mentioned units so I can't help other then what I just gave you
good luck
You hunt unit 31? That's my #1 on my list for my first elk hunt .

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back