Best .270 Ammunition

I'm sorry if I offended anyone... just giving my opinion and if you don't like it that's perfectly fine. I'm going to do my thing and you do yours. peace out.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone... just giving my opinion and if you don't like it that's perfectly fine. I'm going to do my thing and you do yours. peace out.

I don’t think you offended anyone and tbh compared to other forums everyone was pretty nice to you.. you’re right everyone is entitled to an opinion but this isn’t exactly opinion your incorrect on this one and it’s been proven by the thousands of elk that have been killed humanely with a 270. And the fact that you’re telling new guys bad info is why you’ve got guys calling you on it.

so a serious question when my daughter turns 12 should Ijust hand her a 300 win mag and tell her have at when I take her elk hunting?

if you want to shoot nothing but a 300 at elk more power to You but don’t spread bad info is what I think everyone would agree on.

and as far as “pros” go there’s a pretty famous one think his name might be Randy Newberg who talks About his first 5 bull elk were killed with a 270. Listen to his podcast it gets asked on almost every live elk talk.

I don’t think you offended anyone and tbh compared to other forums everyone was pretty nice to you.. you’re right everyone is entitled to an opinion but this isn’t exactly opinion your incorrect on this one and it’s been proven by the thousands of elk that have been killed humanely with a 270. And the fact that you’re telling new guys bad info is why you’ve got guys calling you on it.

so a serious question when my daughter turns 12 should Ijust hand her a 300 win mag and tell her have at when I take her elk hunting?

if you want to shoot nothing but a 300 at elk more power to You but don’t spread bad info is what I think everyone would agree on.

and as far as “pros” go there’s a pretty famous one think his name might be Randy Newberg who talks About his first 5 bull elk were killed with a 270. Listen to his podcast it gets asked on almost every live elk talk.
That's fine but what does randy actually use today ?? hmmm mostly a .308 and 165 grain or bigger. I'm going a different route on my next elk hunt I'm taking a 300 win mag sorry that's just the way I feel . most kids do start out on low recoil guns. The hunters out there can do what they want some might hate my advice and some might like it. I'm sticking with heavier grain bullets for elk ..like I said do what ya want no hard feelings here. peace out.

The guy originally asked for recommendations on .270 ammo. Maybe he doesn't want to have a rifle for elk and a rifle for deer. Some folks are limited on funds and may decide to get the one rifle that may fit them or their needs better. Maybe they want to practice more and save on ammo. Who knows and it doesn't matter. So, can our recommendations not be go buy a bigger rifle? Hunting Wyoming elk, deer, and antelope - my trusty .270 that belonged to my Dad many, many years ago has served me well. None of the elk I've killed with the .270 have complained that I should have used something bigger while a .300 would have been more than too much for an antelope.

Last of the Mohicans - Find what shoots best out of your rifle and go with it. I've used the 150grn Remington Core-Lokts and 150grn Federal Premium with the Nosler Partitions with equal success. For some reason my rifle didn't like the Winchester ammo and just didn't group as well. Good luck.

Interesting thread

The op ask a question with his 1st post on the forum --four pages and four days later--he has not returned

Approximately a dozen members have used 150 gr bullets or less, successfully, but one fellow was unsuccessful with them and therefore, according to him, they can not be used.

I do not have any Elk/270/bullet weight recommendations, but there is a fellow up this way that uses a 270/150 Nosler combination for moose and caribou without any issues

Nosler makes a 160 partition in .277. Double tap sells it in 270win. 1-10 twist rate is almost universal for 270win factory barrels. Ideal rate for 130-150 gr, may not stabilize heavier bullets. If your rifle likes the 160 as my Stevens/Savage does, it is effective on cow elk out to 200 yds IME, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it @ 300.

Thanks for the insight, I've always wondered if elk guys shoot that high point on the shoulder like whitetails guys do. I can see where shooting a 130 mono would make more sense for that shot, to break him down and for the bullet to encounter more resistance.

Two ways to go about it (for a .270 or similar, to keep in context)...fast & flat (high velocity/expansion/damage) or heavy/slower ( for penetration & damage)
The fast & flat help hit where you aim, and for elk, the 130s have to be either Premium ( or stout enough) to open up with shock & awe) or expanding mono-metal to do shock yet penetrate. The heavy/slower ( relative to the 130,etc) has proven to work very well too, if it opens up (or wads up, "mushrooms") and holds together to penetrate. Neither one is perfect nor ever 'wrong". It get down to what you want to shoot. Personally, I feel there is a big difference between the "constitution" of a 350-500 pound cow elk and a much bigger, heavier muscled Bull. While I have no problems using a 270/130 mono. I still would put it through the forward part of the shoulders or high shoulder. If thats what I had to hunt with, same for a Bull. If I had a choice, "for me" bigger is always better....I see no logical reason to differentiate between a 270/160 Partition and a 7mm Rem Mag/160 Partition if both are going within 100 fps of each other! If I wanted more, then sure, one of the 300 mags on up to as much as you want to use! Don't agonize over it, perfect practice makes perfect, put the right "kind" of bullet where it goes, and have fun doing it! :)

Why not aim for the center of the vasculature? I've never understood the "break 'em down" thought, except in very specific circumstances.

It's been my experience most folks are aiming in the wrong spot and then blame the bullet and/or the cartridge.

Why not aim for the center of the vasculature? I've never understood the "break 'em down" thought, except in very specific circumstances.

This is something that I too have never understood. Not from a right or wrong perspective, simply the reasoning behind it. I was taught to aim for the lungs, and since it has worked so far, haven't looked at any alternative.

It's been my experience most folks are aiming in the wrong spot and then blame the bullet and/or the cartridge.
I'm open to that discussion if it makes sense and is logical then no harm to listen to what some one has got to say about it some habits are hard to break if someone is use to holding a certain way on a critter

I'm open to that discussion if it makes sense and is logical then no harm to listen to what some one has got to say about it some habits are hard to break if someone is use to holding a certain way on a critter
So for the purpose of adding context:

1) What distance were your shots at?
2) Where did you hit the animal?
3) Did you hit where you were aiming?
4) How many shots on each

So for the purpose of adding context:

1) What distance were your shots at?
2) Where did you hit the animal?
3) Did you hit where you were aiming?
4) How many shots on each
I prefer to hear what you actually used Elk hunting this year. What is your Max distance you like. Do you try and stay out the high shoulder shots and stay more to lung area thanks

I prefer to hear what you actually used Elk hunting this year. What is your Max distance you like. Do you try and stay out the high shoulder shots and stay more to lung area thanks
131 grain monolithic .284" bullet. Max distance is 400ish (simple duplex crosshairs with no turrets). The only reason I ever shoot high shoulder would be an instance like a mountain goat hunt. I hold 1/4-1/3 up the body and directly in line with the front leg (or centered between the front legs if the animal is angled). This will put you directly in the "<" formed by the humerus and the scapula.

Last edited by a moderator:
131 grain monolithic .284" bullet. Max distance is 400ish (simple duplex crosshairs with no turrets). The only reason I ever shoot high shoulder would be an instance like a mountain goat hunt. I hold 1/4-1/3 up the body and directly in line (or centered if the animal is angled) with the front leg. This will put you directly in the "<" formed by the humerus and the holding scapula.
Okay thanks for the input and noted to stay out high shoulder

Plain and simple, it's like a button. If you want to anchor a really big deer, it works. Not saying its better or anything.

A monometal through the shoulders is very effective, put behind the shoulder they can run some usually. If you aim halfway up aligned with the "front edge" of the leg, you get whats known as the "*Thoracic Autonomic Plexis", fancy for "big arteries above the heart and double lungs", maybe some broken bones which acts like shrapnel. Its light out usually. High shoulder will drop them, and keep either (a) your elk from running over the next ridge, or down in the deepest hole they can find...at the speed of a running horse! Or (b) if other game animals i.e African Plains Game or Exotics, if they run off and you don't find them, you still pay for them! We found in South Africa and Namibia ( 4 hunts, 2 doz animals for me, not alot, but not a few either) that the 300WM/180 Barnes, the 338WM with Barnes 200x , 340W/Barnes 210, 35 Whelen AI with 250x/200x and the 375 H&H/270 Failsafe were excellent for that kind of killing! Or you can "drive it up on a hard angling away shot". High shoulder to me means 1/3 way down from the top of the withers center of shoulder and it will work. It may ruin some meat, it may not if a mono. Now, if I'm using a softer nose bullet, i.e. a cup n core, Partition or Accurbond/Scirocco type, I will try for tight behind the shoulder or the forward shoulder ( *TAP) or "if I just have to stop him" then I will hit him high shoulder, and yes, it "will" ruin alot of meat, but save the kill. The base of the neck if broadside works swell too.

270 win / Zero Elk-Kill hunter here.

Plan to hunt archery this year but if my plans change and i get pushed to OTC Rifle, I intend to look at the 140gr Nosler Accubond, 150gr Nosler Partitions and the new factory load from Federal, 136gr Terminal Ascent. Which ever groups the best will get the nod.

So far as I can tell, the ballistics inside of 350 yards are more than sufficient without the recoil or muzzle blast. Good luck on your hunt!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back