Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Beginner at Western Big Game Hunting

bdlittleton

Hello,

I am a Texas Whitetail and Pig hunter looking at getting into more western spot and stalk type hunts. I just returned from my first trip of this kind, an archery mule deer hunt at Elephant Mountain WMA. This is a tough hunt with a 6% success rate. I had a good time, but I suffered through some tough conditions (supermoon and nighttime temps in the mid 50's). I managed to get within 40 yards of a 3x3, but blew it because he was bedded with some does at the base of the slope and I didn't know it, took one too many steps and they all popped up and bolted. Never saw another buck during shooting hours.

Anyway, despite being unsuccessful, I'm hooked. For my next hunt I'd like to do something with a little bit better chance of being successful. I'm not looking for a monster, just want a successful hunt, something that will allow me to build a little confidence. I also don't have a lot of money, so preferably not something that is going to break the bank. I'd love some suggestions if anyone has any. Here are some pictures from my hunt, got to see some rams at least...

IMG_0176.jpgIMG_0200.jpgIMG_0212.jpgIMG_0214.jpgIMG_0223.jpgIMG_0230.jpgIMG_0240.jpg

thanks,
Brandyn

If you're looking for a better chance of success, I'd recommend a Wyoming pronghorn hunt. There's some decent units you can draw for 0 and 1 point. Plus, you are allowed up to 4 doe tags and they are cheap....About $35 as leftovers.

No OTC tags in WY for non residents, except for bear. In past years there have been leftover elk, deer and pronghorn tags available after the draw. Leftovers are for sale in July. Another vote for a pronghorn hunt, I got one with my bow spot and stalk my first trip to Wyoming.

Yep, definitely a Wyoming antelope hunt. Like Cush suggests antelope doe tags are reasonably priced and the meat is tremendous table fare. You can also use the hunt to scout for a buck antelope and / or a buck mule deer hunt in the future as well. And keep in mind to buy points each and every year you do not draw your 1st choice.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbonser94
Back