Yeti GOBOX Collection

Beginner Antelope South Dakota

lakedelavan

Hello everyone first off I would like to say I love this site and seeing all the great harvest this season has already produced, but I am here to ask a question. I am looking next year to do an Antelope hunt with a bow out in south dakota looking into harding county and surrounding counties. My question is I am used to sitting in a stand and doing deer drive in Wisconsin so spot and stalk is going to be a little different so I was wondering if anyone had any tips/tricks/tactics that could help me out on this hunt. I know having patience and putting on a lot of miles is gonna help but if anyone else has anything they would like to share for a beginner antelope hunter that would be greatly appreciated. Also Im pretty much set on a location, but if anyone has anything on the current population they saw out there that would be nice too I know next year depends on the winter we are gonna have this year.

I'll shoot you a PM later tonight with some advice I did a pronghorn hunt in SD for the first time earlier this year and while I didn't score I came really close and it was a blast

You don't necessarily have to change the way you hunt. Setup a blind near a water and wait. As a non-resident you need to have an archery safety course I believe; not just regular hunter education course. Something you need to look into and get done sooner rather than later.

You don't necessarily have to change the way you hunt. Setup a blind near a water and wait. As a non-resident you need to have an archery safety course I believe; not just regular hunter education course. Something you need to look into and get done sooner rather than later.

i checked into a couple years ago as long as you held an archery tag in another state previously you were ok

2017Antelope.jpg
I spot and stalk, since I find waterhole hunting extremely boring and I don't like to bake in an oven for 10-12 hours a day. You can have success either way you choose. I harvested this guy last year at 37 yards and stalked within 59 yards of one and was under 100 yards another 3 times. I use a decoy, but that is easier to do with a second person. "Be the Decoy" is the way to go if you are alone, but don't hunt during rifle season

Back