Beetles, Boiling or Meal worms ?

One of the problems with beatles is having a place to keep the colony. I know they do great work, but you don't want them getting anywhere other than where you are keeping them. They'll eat the heck out of any mount you have. I boil myself and it seems each one I do turns out to be easier and better than the one I did before it. Meal worms might work great, I don't know, and I've never really heard of anyone using them. I also don't know if they have the same problems that dermestid beatles do as far as getting in your house and eating things they shouldn't be. Can you keep up a constant food source to keep the colony going?

Dont get them from them they are free if you just put your skulls in a black plastic bag and put a few holes in it. They will find it. One other thing they are hard on skulls. I got beetles but if you want them you have to have a good spot to put them. They need to be in 70 to 100 deg. temp all the time it needs to be damp but not to wet then you will get maggots and it needs to be dark.(for them to work there best) I would pay someone to do it if I was you. They are a pain in the butt

Moosie,
Using and taking care of beetles are like having any other animal. If you understand their basic needs and take care of them they are fine. I don't know any taxidermist that use meal worms to clean skulls. All taxidermist or osteo businesses I know of use dermestid beetles. JJHack has been doing this for years and is somewhat of an expert on caring for and using beetles. I have him do all my skulls and they all have turned out better than great. I tried raising beetles myself but found it difficult to maintain the 80 degree temperature they need to in order to thrive. They will die if the temperature drops below 35 degrees. I was raising mine in my classroom. The heaters quit working over Christmas break and I lost two complete colonies. You must also be 100% sure that whatever you use to contain them in, that it is 10000000000000000000% escape proof. If those beetles get out and into your house they will destroy all your mounts, carpet, and material based furniture. Which would likely result with you paying alimony as well. If I haven't discouraged you yet there is a very good book out on raising and caring for dermestid beetles. I see the book advertised in Taxidermy Today magazine. I'd buy that book "before" you get any bugs if I were you.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back