Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Becoming a Civilian

A-5_Guy

After over a decade of service the time has come (been decided for me) to pull chocks on the 'Corps. As some of you know I used to pilot MV-22's but sustained a back injury that required surgery. I never quite got back to where I could meet the requirements to fly, so I was "med boarded." This process took over a year and was a completely draining experience, both mentally and physically. After a long fight I found out last week that I'm being medically retired.

I have a lot of different thoughts and emotions going through my head right now and I guess this post is really just a way to lay down some words and maybe make some sense of the whole situation. After my injury I always knew I'd probably be medically separated or medically retired, but never really came to terms with it. Now I'm faced with my imminent departure and job search all while my wife is 35 weeks pregnant with our 3rd boy. I won't be moving for another 6-8 weeks, but it's just a lot to process. My degree is a BS in Geology, but as I like to say, "I've pushed all those penguins off my iceberg" while I was learning to planes, helicopters, and tilt rotors...

After a decade of doing the same thing I find myself completely clueless about what I actually want to do for a new career. Flying is pretty much out of the question, although I'm a commercial pilot, etc...

So, my questions to the masses are:

1) what do you do for a living, do you enjoy it, and where do you live (state only is fine, not looking to get creepy)?

- and -

2) if you had advice for your 32 year old self, what would it be?

Oh, and if @bigfin is looking for a personal assistant, I could probably be that guy...just saying, haha!

Thanks in advance.

First off, let me say thank you for your service. My advice would be to not rush into anything. I'm a real estate broker and love my job. I currently live in MS, but I'm trying to make a move out west. Good luck in whatever you decide.

There are tests you can take to see what your personality type is. We are all individuals with our own nuances but if you gather a 100 successful cold-calling sales people together in a large room with 100 CPA tax accountants for a cocktail party then is relatively easy to separate the two career types with a high degree of accuracy by merely observing them for an hour or so. The personality test can help you target some roles, whether it be sales or customer service or project management etc, that may overlay very well with your natural tendencies and "instinct." Stress kills so finding a good fit is worth the effort.

The degree to which you feel the emotions of others, want to lead or follow, enjoy interacting with people vs projects, like to be part of a team vs do your own thing, have the responsibility for a business or project vs be a hired gun so at most you lose your job, want to have an important title or work for a "brand name" company in your industry are all considerations. Do you need several weeks of vacation a year, need predictable cash flow, need to be home at predictable times each day, work days, work only Monday-Friday, need a low physical impact job, need to not travel overnight, are you willing to relocate every couple of years while your children are in school, etc are things to kick around honestly and with others such as your spouse and older children.

I am a freak with numbers and statistics. Is so natural I discount how above average I am. I can make more money is sales so I migrated out of accounting to sales. I do relationship selling that leads to other businesses buying equipment and supplies from me on behalf of the company I work for and I enjoy what I do. I still get the itch to chase numbers around a spreadsheet or budget plan so that is where I got into my pre-application hunt analysis. I probably enjoyed the planning of my application choices in several states for several species as much as drawing a tag or the effort getting to/from the hunt destination.

Good luck on your journey. As an older person, 10 years is somewhere between a long damn time and a mere blink of an eye. I know several people that have done a career for 10-20 years then as the economy pivoted they retooled for a new role that will probably get them to retirement but maybe they will retool again. For better or worse, your journey is one many have and will be on during their life as a player in our new economy.

I was medically retired at age 34 after being wounded in Iraq. 15 years of my life and identity and sense of self was gone in the blink of an eye. I've been out since '07 and I still don't feel that I've fully re-integrated back into civilian life. There are things that just can't be replaced...sense of brotherhood and trust and being part of a team. There's also the adrenaline rushes from war that can't be relieved by anything out here. I'm not going to bullshit you..it's going to be hard. You're going to feel lost and alone in a sense and without a purpose in life. Take some time to just be. Collect unemployment for a while and do your VA disability paperwork. Enjoy time with your family and new baby. Don't stress about getting a job right off the bat. Give yourself some time to figure out what's important to you and what sort of lifestyle you want and where you might want it. Do some travelling to places that might seem interesting to you to settle down in. Do some fishing, shoot some coyotes and small game. Get out of the house and away from everyone and everything from time to time. You're going to need that time to decompress. I'm not trying to sound morbid here, just giving you the reality of what's probably going to happen, since I went through it too. I make enough from my disability to live on comfortably and have a bit extra to travel to see my kids and family and do some out of state hunting. I found hunting and fishing the avenue to relieve my stress and frustration of not 'belonging' anymore. You'll get through it. There's light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a way through the tunnel that can be interesting. Enjoy being a civilian and don't rush into anything too quickly. I ended up in Colorado because of a chick I knew through mutual friends, but I decided to stay here after we split up and she moved away. I wanted to hunt elk and antelope and mule deer like I saw on TV. I don't regret it one bit. My 10 year plan is to move to Montana.

John Cushman, SGT US Army (ret)

Last edited:
While having only served in the guard, I got out in 2010 on my own terms. I did the full 8 due to our old friend "stop loss" snatching up buddies left and right beforehand. I too was married and had no idea what I really wanted out of life now that my obligation was complete. Believe it or not the guard is a huge red flag for employers, or was then at least. I had been working EMS as a civilian job for about 5 years, barely making ends meet when I decided I needed a real career. Long story short, flash forward to now, and Im comfortably in a higher end industrial job that offers a comfortable life for my ever expanding family. Man, you don't even know it yet, but places like I work will grab us vets up by the handfulls. Esp if you have a degree on top of it. The majority of this generation entering the workforce now is rather un-impressive by most employers standards. My advice, find something to pay the bills in the meantime, take your time and figure out what you really want to do for the next 30yrs, and then make it happen. Im in no doubt a blessed man by any standard, by it has really been that easy for me. Feel free to PM me anytime if there is anything I can do to help.

You have a lot of opportunities within the Federal Gov't. Military give you veteran status, disability gives you a leg up on top of your veteran status. Depending on your interests, there are a vast many gov't jobs seeking a person of your caliber - and that is on the bare basics you shared.

Heck, drone piloting for CBP Air and Marine. There are northern border locations as well as southern, from Arizona, Florida, N. Dakota, Michigan, etc, etc...

You could enter within the DOI, USDA (FS), DOS, DOJ, DHS It is rather endless. Varying types of jobs with good pay and benefits.

I do not know if you are familiar and if anyone else finds this of interest though https://www.usajobs.gov/ This is the portal to federal employment with most all branches of the Federal Govt. Like anything, the process may be extensive. It took roughly 8 months. Any position that holds certain security clearance levels will extend the background investigation, etc.

Best to you and your search! Has to be a challenging position to face though you hold a couple good cards to begin with your search and you are still at an age that is lucrative for age restricted jobs.

Last edited:
I'm currently active duty in Cheyenne, WY and within a very short time frame from hitting my 10 year mark as well and making the plunge to the civi side. As far as living, I love it here in Wyo and making a plan to stay. The life style, big game hunting, bird hunting, fishing, number of lakes, lack of taxes, VA hospital & base near, proximity of the breweries and ski ranges in CO make it a fit for me. There are plenty of jobs out there for you, Koch Industries are hot and heavy for vets and hire literally anywhere you want to go. As for enjoying a job, I'm not really looking into the enjoyment, I'm really looking hard into whether or not it'll allow me to enjoy life the way I see fit. Paying well is just a bonus. We're in a similar boat with time in service, age, expectant wife's, and job searches, so if you need anyone to bounce ideas off of or just chat, drop a line. Good luck and thank you for your service.

Another option is to go back to school if that is something that you want to do. Even if you don't take a full load it is good supplemental income and it may help you figure out what you want to do. As for moving, we are in the same boat. My wife can retire from Federal Service in 4 years and we will be moving out west (Montana or Idaho).

Sytes had a great suggestion about USA Jobs and I will add that if you are looking for a civilian job in the Army, FASCLASS is a great tool to make sure your resume meets the job description. Basically you will find all of the civilian jobs out there and the full position description of the job. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I am retired AF and now work for the Army as a civilian.

Good luck!!

After my time in I went back to school, got my Master of Divinity and became a pastor. I tried to go back in as a Chaplain, but they said I was too broke. I am a Montana son, so I came back as soon as I could and won't ever leave again. Everything I want is right here. Jobs aren't plenty, but if you are willing to relocate some, you might find something.

As a veteran with a geology degree I would be looking at oil and gas jobs - they're not entirely the devil some people think they are, they pay well, and have excellent benefits. On the other hand, there are lots of civilian aviation related jobs that don't require an intact body and the geography of those jobs is pretty much whatever you want it to be. Both of the above are civilian career paths that can have something like the camaraderie of the military because there are usually a lot of veterans around.

The career thing will work out but as John Cushman pointed out there are other difficulties. Keep your family close, stay close to your Marine Corps buddies even if it's just on social media, look for loyal new friends with similar interests wherever you end up. I've been out 13 years and am finally feeling pretty adjusted these last couple of years. Semper Fi.

Guys,

Thanks for the honest feedback and outpouring of support. Also, if you sent me a PM I'm working on the responses so don't think I'm ignoring anyone. I've definitely been searching through the USA Jobs site, among others, but it always seems like they're asking for someone with extensive experience, etc.

I think what I really need to wrap my head around is the pay cut I'm about to take. Although I'll receive a monthly paycheck and be entitled to the retirement benefits such as healthcare, dental, and various life insurance opportunities-- it certainly won't be enough to live on. We're planning on moving in, as much as that kills my pride, with my in-laws in AL since they have plenty of room.

Full disclosure, I am working with a "head hunter" group that seems to be much more hands on than some of the others. They have online classes, interview prep, resume prep, etc; however, at the end of the day it's still one of those "we don't get paid until you get a job" deals. So, I'm not completely alone in my efforts to transition.

Keep the comments coming.

Federal government gives pretty high hiring priority to vets. Great benefits and usually competitive pay. I am sometimes conflicted about this policy, but for the hardworking vets out there, I think it can be a great opportunity to keep a paycheck coming and start working toward a good retirement. I work in the Water Resources division of the USGS. A hydrologic technician position can be a great starting point to keep things floating. Again, most of these positions are listed on USA Jobs. Good luck and thanks for your service! The older I get, more I appreciate the sacrifices made by those who serve in our armed forces. Definitely something to be proud of. In a weird, disconnected way, I am proud of you for helping shape the country I live in. Thanks!

I used to work for Raytheon, a defense contractor. They love to hire vets. They build radars and such for planes. I bet they would love to hire a pilot like yourself. Check with them along with all of the other defense contractors and I bet you could find something.

Thanks for your service! I too was medically retired at 32, in 2014. John is pretty spot on with adjusting to civilian life. I would add that with a family, I'm still searching for what I want for my next career. I currently work part time on the commercial airlines industry. I am looking at expanding my options within the industry. I was a track and wheel guy while in the military. I got my PT job based on being able to travel with the family for vacations, hunting trips out of state (AK in 2018) and to reintegrate myself in civilian life. I would second looking at fed jobs, one because you can buy back your Active time and apply it toward retirement with a fed agency. I also was a fed employee and can answer a lot of questions about that side if you want/need anything. If you want to step away from government jobs and the airline industry, I would take the time to see what starts to pique your interest on the civilian side. Ask a lot of questions when meeting new people that have a career in what you are interested in. To me it seems like without a college degree or civilian accredited training from the military, it is harder to find a career that doesn't have me stuck behind a desk for 40hrs+ or further aggravating my injury doing manual labor type jobs. I wish you good luck and if you want to chat about the transitions or have questions of other vets, let me or I'm sure some of the other Hunttalk vets would be happy to chat with you.

2) if you had advice for your 32 year old self, what would it be?
If you like Geology go get an MS degree. I went off to grad school at 37 and would do it again. My mother went to Med school at 35. You have much to look forward to. Go pursue a dream or something.

Going back to school is definitely a possibility.

In other news, almost comical, I was selected to the rank of Major. Guess I'll be "up and out", haha.

Sir,

No matter what occurs I as well as a bunch of others have your back, always! I spent 8 years in the Corps (UH-1N and Ch46 Airframes Mechanic) well before you shoved your first throttle forward or pulled on a collective. There were many reasons for my leaving the Corps; cold war era, very low pay, being locked into a critical MOS with the desire to learn and do something else (and see different parts of the world). In those days there were large parts of the planet Airedales just did not go.

I bounced around job wise for a few years but finally found my passion in Law Enforcement. Serving the rest of my working days for a small department where I felt an individual officer, the only one on duty, usually at night, could make a difference.

The kids have long ago left the nest, youngest being 23 now. My lovely bride and I currently live on the Oregon Coast, geographically a couple of hundred miles from where I used to work. We still have family commitments here on the coast. My mother in law lives here and my folks are a couple of hours away. When the day to move away from the rain and corrosion central we plan on moving back to a mountainous area, the type of area which we both came from. Most likely ID or MT.

Take the time Sir to find your passion. You will have hurdles along the way but nothing an old osprey driver cannot handle easily.

You need a hand, or an ear, I am here for you you anytime!

Semper Fidelis Marine!
Les
USMC 1974-1983

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1sockeye2
Back