PEAX Equipment

Frustration level......EXPERT!!!

SFC B

As many of you know I was medically retired by the Army 7 years ago. I had 20.5 years total service at the time, 15 active. Since I was technically eligible to retire from the reserves at that point but had 7+ years of Title 10 USC mobilization I fall into what is called "gray area retirement". This means that the government has be holding my retirement pay (referred to as offset ), because my VA pay is larger, until I would have been able to receive my "gray area retirement" by age notwithstanding my medical retirement.

I was eligible to finally start receiving that pay LAST July. Even though the Army medically retired me I came to find out that I had to APPLY to receive my retirement FROM them last spring. This application consisted of not only filling out the request form but downloading about 10 documents from THEIR portal, compiling them into an email, and sending them BACK TO THEM.

I have been going back and forth with them ever since literally doing multiples of the same thing. Today I had to do it again. This time to try and get them to amend my DD214 with additional "codes". Once that is done, I have to put it in ANOTHER email and send it BACK TO THEM in order to complete my packet.....allegedly.

I cannot express how f$%king mad and frustrated I am to have to be fighting this ridiculous, bureaucratic fight in order to receive what I have EARNED. What makes it even more maddening is that it is this difficult for me, a middle aged guy with an advanced degree who has been dealing with the government my entire adult life. Can you imagine a young soldier in a similar situation but with a TBI and without the experience level in dealing with the shiz show that is Army HRC? It is SHAMEFUL that our servicemembers have to deal with this. I will get my pay eventually (with the BIG chunk of back pay) but what if I needed it to survive?

Well, I work for the Civilian feds and they tell us to declare our retirement date 6-8 months in advance at least to not delay payments.....so you're not alone.

As many of you know I was medically retired by the Army 7 years ago. I had 20.5 years total service at the time, 15 active. Since I was technically eligible to retire from the reserves at that point but had 7+ years of Title 10 USC mobilization I fall into what is called "gray area retirement". This means that the government has be holding my retirement pay (referred to as offset ), because my VA pay is larger, until I would have been able to receive my "gray area retirement" by age notwithstanding my medical retirement.

I was eligible to finally start receiving that pay LAST July. Even though the Army medically retired me I came to find out that I had to APPLY to receive my retirement FROM them last spring. This application consisted of not only filling out the request form but downloading about 10 documents from THEIR portal, compiling them into an email, and sending them BACK TO THEM.

I have been going back and forth with them ever since literally doing multiples of the same thing. Today I had to do it again. This time to try and get them to amend my DD214 with additional "codes". Once that is done, I have to put it in ANOTHER email and send it BACK TO THEM in order to complete my packet.....allegedly.

I cannot express how f$%king mad and frustrated I am to have to be fighting this ridiculous, bureaucratic fight in order to receive what I have EARNED. What makes it even more maddening is that it is this difficult for me, a middle aged guy with an advanced degree who has been dealing with the government my entire adult life. Can you imagine a young soldier in a similar situation but with a TBI and without the experience level in dealing with the shiz show that is Army HRC? It is SHAMEFUL that our servicemembers have to deal with this. I will get my pay eventually (with the BIG chunk of back pay) but what if I needed it to survive?
I had an incident about 2 years ago trying to get a coworkers death benefits to his widow. We went through HR "losing" 5...yes FIVE sets of marriage licenses and death certificates. An hr staff who completely dropped the ball. Excuse after excuse with no one held accountable for over a year before my coworkers widow finally got her husband's death benefits. Everything from being over worked and under staffed, staff on vacations, and whatever flavor of the day bullchit they could come up with.

Finally, I had enough and contacted my coworkers representative in Texas. Told the story and just like that congressional inquiry on just why in the hell a widow should have to wait over a year for death benefits.

If I were you I would go to the top...

I feel for ya. I retired with 35 years military and they messed it all up. Took me 8 months to receive my retirement check!

I feel for ya. I retired with 35 years military and they messed it all up. Took me 8 months to receive my retirement check!
Totally unacceptable...on every level. I'm not unreasonable, a couple months sure, 8 months, something needs to change.

Nobody should have to be told they need to have 6 months to a years worth of living expenses before they receive retirement benefits.

The more people contact congress the sooner this kind of thing quits happening.

I can't think of anything good to say about congressman Doug Lamborn, except he claims to advocate for veterans. If he is your rep, try his office.

After working for VA for 8 years, I feel qualified in saying the treatment of veterans by the federal gov't borders on criminal. Thank you and your family for your service and sacrifice.

I can't think of anything good to say about congressman Doug Lamborn, except he claims to advocate for veterans. If he is your rep, try his office.

After working for VA for 8 years, I feel qualified in saying the treatment of veterans by the federal gov't borders on criminal. Thank you and your family for your service and sacrifice.
I also wouldn't be afraid to reach out to KNOWN veteran friendly legislators outside your district or State. Jon Tester has done a lot for Veterans....

Well, I work for the Civilian feds and they tell us to declare our retirement date 6-8 months in advance at least to not delay payments.....so you're not alone.
Represented a Fed employee who found cancer eating his AL and SL faster than he could build (Chemo, etc), after 25+ Fed Civilian and 8 Military (Navy). Worked towards Disability retirement... For someone going through the hell of cancer / chemo and maintaining work / family - It took directly pulling human heartstrings to finally gain his freedom (Disability Retirement) to focus on the matters most dear, family.

I've heard Texas State is pretty good with the retirement transition... Some things *could be learned. Especially for those who serve our country.

After watching my Dad deal with VA regarding Agent Orange and the Services hoops, I'm convinced there's a hidden policy to make things as difficult as possible but leaving just one perfect path to the end goal in the hope that the service member will give up in frustration or simply die.
My Dad received his full benefits with back pay and passed away within the year. I've never had to make a claim for but my daughter has and says things aren't too bad.

I don't get it. "Thank you for your service. Now go die." Hell of a recruiting tool.

This is what your congressional delegation is for. Your congressman and senator have staff members specifically designated to raise hell on behalf of their constituents. Call their offices.

If this is an issue where someone isn't doing his or her job or is making a mistake, then it is the kind of thing that you call your US Senator for. If you get your senator to act (and he or she is almost certain to do so), it WILL get fixed in a jiffy.

The saying when I was in the army was always “it’s not govt work if you don’t do it at least twice!”. Seems that doesn’t end after service. Luckily my separation was pretty cut and dry.

Have you tried working with the VSOs in your area? They’re typically pretty crafty at getting all this crap sorted out. If they can’t, absolutely contact your congressman like @Wallydeuce suggested.

When I worked in the student veteran center at the community college, we’d have folks getting the run around for weeks/months about their Ed benefits. I’d call the congressman’s office, and the students benefits would typically be sorted out by the next week. That’s how you get re-elected!!

Nowhere near as problematic but I got my confirmation letter from social security today. It starts in June but I don't get a check until mid July. Ok? I take it you get paid AFTER the month you are claiming? I guess I can live with that but the extra benefit from my pension stops June 1. That's $1000! That leaves me with about $900 to last from May 1st through July 19th. Good thing I won't have a big heating bill by then. :rolleyes: Oh well. Freezers are full and at least I know it's coming ahead of time.

It's just a minor hiccup compared to your issues but another way to show our wonderful government at work. Ugh.

I know this doesn't make it better, but I share this to help better understand the problem. You are are in no way unique, and are sharing this experience with with thousands of retired servicemembers, and it is ridiculous. You need to contact your elected officials, if not for you, then for the rest of the servicemembers who this will screw over next. This is a systemic/bureaucratic issue at Human Resources Command, and it seems at this point it will only get rectified by pressure coming from legislative oversight. I am still in, and tell everyone of my Soldiers who have been dealing with this the same thing.

I should also mention, in case their are active duty members on here. This does not just apply to Guard/Reserve retirements. The issues are the same for us. I know active duty soldiers who have waited 6-8 months as well.

I should also mention, in case their are active duty members on here. This does not just apply to Guard/Reserve retirements. The issues are the same for us. I know active duty soldiers who have waited 6-8 months as well.
Civil service is exactly the same...somebody needs to shake shit up in .gov HR.

The problem is they seem to be untouchable and have zero accountability.

Civil service is exactly the same...somebody needs to shake shit up in .gov HR.

The problem is they seem to be untouchable and have zero accountability.

My cynical side would say that until a member of the legislative branch feels their reelection could be secured or damaged by this, we may not want to hold our breath....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back