NEW SITKA Ambient 75

Beaver Creek Fire in CO 161

bdubb78

Anyone have any boots on the ground info on the severity of the Beaver Creek burn from 2016? Were things starting to green up last year or was it too hot of a burn? Without having the ability to get out there and see for myself I am trying to decide if the unit is worth an archery tag this year. Thanks.

I was there last fall, the fire was mostly lower than where we bow hunted. I'm no fire expert but I don't think it was too bad, lots of chared timber still standing. I was imagining all the dead fall would be burnt & gone but not the case.

Never hunted there but the area biologist told me just the other day the big kill area for that unit this past year was in the Beaver Creek burn area.

I drove through there and down to the lake just to see it. LOTS of hunting pressure, trucks, ATVs, campers everywhere. Can't tell you about elk numbers in the area as I did not hunt it, but I took pics of the burn and it was pretty much bare ground, with black sticks upright and all over the forest floor. I have never hunted a burn but to me it looked like a mess to walk through. I will try to post a pic later today.

Pic from Lake area looking West/NW, Sept. 2017
Not saying it's all that bad but there was a lot of that type of damage. For a flatlander is was jaw-dropping to see!

Its an OTC archery tag, so you can just move if you don't like it. You don't have to specify the unit.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fossil Ridge
Back