Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Bears on cams your opinion

SG25

HT, I have never hunted bear before but I have been getting A LOT of bear on my cameras in a new spot I'm scouting. I have been doing some reading on how to tell the difference in a boar and a sow and they say the head, ears, snout, rear end, and the walk. What are your opinions on these 3 bear and what's your reasoning for coming to that conclusion(just for my knowledge)? I did some judging of size in the field and they all seem to be a pretty good size. I haven't found any food source besides acorns/bugs, and a stream is a rock throw away from this spot but seem to be getting quite a few bear. In this area, it is somewhat thick forest so glassing more then 100 yards is impossible so locating them is going to be tough. Any help, tips, opinionsIMG_6149.jpgIMG_6151.jpgIMG_6160.jpgIMG_6163.jpg would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Are you sure that's 3 bears? Looks like a sow with two 2 year olds. The picture with the two bears makes me think either those are kick off cubs or the sow just never came in for a pose. All 2 or 3 are pretty bears. The blondish one has the definite sow look... pointy head and big ol round booty. The small chocolate looks somewhat the same. Where there's bears setup and hunt I guess....a boar will show up sooner or later. I'm not a expert by any means but in my bear career when a guy has to talk himself into the bear being decent 9 outa 10 times it's a small bear. You just know when you see a jumbo that it's a no brainer.

I agree with @Randy11 the blonde bear in the 3rd and 4th photo is definitely a sow I would guess the bear with her is a 1.5 year old cub. The first bear could be a younger boar, although it's hard to say from the angle/from a still, but it's definitely in the young adult age category. If it was me and this was my first bear I would feel ok taking the first bear, if I could confirm it was a boar, towards the end of the season, but I would try to wait for a bigger bear... see below.

Here is an older CA boar (same bear different angles)

I'm with wllm in that the first could be a boar, although a young one if it is. I would bet a lot of money that the blonde one is a sow, and the one with it looks like a few year old cub.

Tiny bears. The second two will get you a nice pair of mittens. The first one, you may get a hat and a stinky bowl of chili.

Not big but nice colours. Big boars will have an almost square nose when you look at them broadside

They are small bears. I agree with Randy on his size estimate. That might just be two bears in those photos as well. I think that chocolate bear might be the same one in both photo sets. Great color on those!

I agree with @Randy11 the blonde bear in the 3rd and 4th photo is definitely a sow I would guess the bear with her is a 1.5 year old cub. The first bear could be a younger boar, although it's hard to say from the angle/from a still, but it's definitely in the young adult age category. If it was me and this was my first bear I would feel ok taking the first bear, if I could confirm it was a boar, towards the end of the season, but I would try to wait for a bigger bear... see below.

View attachment 103349View attachment 103350

Here is an older CA boar (same bear different angles)
View attachment 103356View attachment 103357
Oh wow that definitely helps a lot! Thank you for this. Yea they definitely look small compared to the bear you included. Do younger bear like these stay away from the bigger boars area wise?

They are small bears. I agree with Randy on his size estimate. That might just be two bears in those photos as well. I think that chocolate bear might be the same one in both photo sets. Great color on those!
The chocolate bear came in solo about a week after the pair and on a few other pictures I have of the pair, the darker ones face is actually very black that’s what made me think 3 different bear.

When the big daddy shows up, you will know. The blocky head and small by relative comparison, rounded ears and tree trunk legs will leave little doubt. A big boar up close can be impressive. These are not big at all.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cercek
Back