Bear Help...

SWMontana1

This fall, during archery season I saw a lot of bears in my hunting spots in the mountains of Montana.... If I went out this spring would the bears be in the general vicinity or what is the radius of travel for bears?

Any advice on spring bear hunting is appreicated too1

Here in nw mt I don't see spring bears in the same places at fall bears. The fall bears are usually much higher, looking for the huckleberries that ripened last.

Just my observations here.

I've never hunted bears, but I would tend to agree with Drahthaar. All the bears I saw this fall and last were above or near treeline. The few I saw shed hunting last spring were very low.

Depends on the area, could be you'll find them and you may not. I know of one area where I find them in the fall like clockwork and yet in the spring no way will I find one.

Depending on where you are, I think the best advise I could give you is to go to the same general area as where you saw them in the Fall. However, just start targeting the faces that the grass is showing. I've generally found that bears will be lower than when you see them in the fall, but thats mostly becasue most of the places i see them in the fall, you can't even get there in early spring due to snow. When bears get up in the spring, they typically move down to where the freshest, newest growing grass is....

Just my 2 cents, probably only worth 1 though:)

Any cents is better than what I'm working with concerning bear hunting :eek:

Thanks for all the advice! Looks like I will be hiking around this spring looking for those bears!! I need some sort of bridge between fall elk hunting and summer fishing.... I think spring bear hunting might be the ticket!!

I have become ADDICTED to bear hunting. I have always had a tag in my pocket, just never tried spring bear hunting, or seemed to see a good one in the fall. I came on this forum, watched, read, and learned, started two years ago making an effort, shot 2 bears now. I am hooked. Plus I live right in the middle of what might be the most dense population of bears in the state. Not a lot of big ones, but lots of color phase and awesome hides.

Can anybody tell me the dates of the spring season around glacier.......the wife and i are interested in trying it out there this yr. Was told it may only be from 4/15 to 4/30, and really hoping its longer that that......thx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dtownsend
Back