Balistics on the .270, 7mm, 300 WSM

Well you can just take your snooty Boise butt elsewhere

Haha, Me being Snooty is like Bill Gates being broke.

A lot to be said about the '06.

I'm sure a lot is to be said about the 30/30 too. I took my line from the YETTI when he posted once about "they give away a 30-06 with every trailer house you buy". At that time, I was living in a single wide PISSED I didn't get one :p

NoHar, I am also interested in what he comes up with. I think he holds too much weight with what a lot of internet posters say. I know he listens WAY to much what IDBugler says.....but then so do I ;)

My first goto gun was a 300 win mag savage I bought from a Drug store in pocatello. Whoever walgreens bought out, can't remember the name. I got a gun case, a gun lock, a tasco scope and the rifle without any butt pad on it.

Drahthaar, I would never make fun of a rifle, no matter what caliber or brand, but that scope?

I called it the "PUNISHER". It was the year I went to New Zealand to hunt Stag and Chamoise/Tahr. The scope broke on that trip and I borrowed a 7mil08. They laughed at me there reminding me that elephants have been extinct in NZ for some time now and I didn't need a 300 win mag..... But it was a killing machine. I know I would have killed with a 270, 30-06, or whatever I had. I won a 300 mag some years later and have been using that since. Being a Boise Snooty/Trendy guy, I've wanted to switch to the 300wsm. I'm guessing that's been O-Towns push. I'm sure he'll kill fine with whatever he shoots. He killed 3 critters this year with 3 different rifles. Unfortunately IdBugler brought up the 7mm ...... So I wonder what direction my kid will go ;)

Next, I'm going to ask what truck O-Town should buy. Ford, GMC, Chevy, Dodge, Toyota... ? I figure if the caliber/brand of gun fails... there is always input from the Peanut gallery on truck brands ;)

Last edited:
For me I'll stay with my 30-06. But I see this all the time and am wondering how it is that a necked down 30-06 (the .270) can have less recoil. my uncle has a .270 and he reloads his and I reload mine . We both use the same powder and both rounds take the same amount. so my question is since I have never felt a differance in recoil and since they both take the same amount of powder how can the recoil be any differant..Just my opinion...

I am not going to put any caliber down but for me it is what my kids are comfortable with. My daughter shoots a .6mm and loves it.she has put down several antelope and deer plus her cow elk. So for me since she is confortable with it and knows it well. I think shot placement is the key not always the caliber. As long as you are comfortable with your rifle of choice it shouldn't matter to anyone else as long as you like it and do what you need for a humane kill.

Last edited:
I'm with Fin on this one now. You are over thinking this. Little "O" has shot 3 different rifles and calibers. All did the job just fine. If he can handle all of them, which it looks like he can, then he should shoot the one he liked best. Unfortunately he hasn't shot the best "7mm" ;) but we can't fault him for that since his dad doesn't shoot one.

I really shouldn't be putting any input on what he should and shouldn't shoot. I own one rifle a 7mm and my wife owns a .270. I really have no knowledge of any other caliber. Everyone has a favorite, mine is the 7mm. I'm sure what ever little "O" buys will be his favorite.

Just make sure he makes the right decision and buys a 7mm. ;) Does all that make sense?

I can't tell the difference in kick between the .270 and .30 bullets. I alway assumed the .270 were more for the women and the .30 for the men...I'm just saying.

If you're going to buy all of your ammunition at the local Wally World, your decision will probably be based on what they carry that you like to shoot. The only real functional difference between .270 Win and .270 WSM is the action length. You need a long action for the .270 Win. and a short action for the .270 WSM.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gauravsingh
Back