Caribou Gear Tarp

It's all fun and games till there are two dead deer when your a mile and a half from the truck at sundown

D4570

I had two whitetail doe tags in my pocket and a plan.
I knew a place where we might fill them. It's a BMA next to a closed waterfowl management area.
My boy and I walked out in a dry drain ditch about a mile and a quarter and slipped up to the top, and set up to wait. We could see out over three sections of cut alfalfa bordering the closed preserve. We started our watch at three p.m. shooting time ended at 6:29 p.m.
There was absolutely no activity, till 6:10. I had plenty of time to range several "Markers" so I knew the range of anything that came into my view. My son was on the other side of the ditch looking over the other half of the field. I ranged a set of Pivit wheels as the absolute max I wanted to shoot 300 yards. As I said at 6:10 two deer stepped into my Side of the field but way too far to shoot. As the clock ticked they made their way closer
Finally, the big doe stepped past the pivot wheel I clicked my turret on the REM 700 8mm rem mag to 300 yards and settled into my shooting sticks. Checked the time good to go and sent the 200 gr hammer at 3200 fps. There is always too much recoil to SEE the hit but the THUD was unmistakable. The deer were only 50 feet from the fence of the Closed area so I could not have them jumping back over. I had put the crosshairs dead center shoulder. It broke her down she did manage to plow a trench a few feet with her head but fell and was hidden in the alfalfa. Her fawn turned to run but Mom was not following so she stopped, I shifted the crosshairs a few feet to the right and sent a second bullet, same spot center shoulder. Cool five minutes to spare. My boy had made his way over by then in time to see the second hit...
Now the fun and games were over. Another quarter mile and there that lay and it was DARK. I walked back to the truck after tagging and drove the truck to an adjacent county road. My boy had them gutted and by the time I got there, he was on the side of the road. We dropped all our gear grabbed the cart and headed back out It was a tiny bit closer from the road. Then back the deer were in the truck at 9:30.
Fun hunt but a bit rough on an old man like me.
IMG-20231022-195545-1.jpg

out hole

IMG-20231023-101223.jpg

IMG-20231023-101316.jpg

in hole

I'm not putting up the pics of the fawn but you can guess what it looked like.

Last edited:
Ill never be a fan of fawn/calf tags.
Im not here to bash your hunt, im glad you put some meat in the freezer for your family and will have a story to share. Congrats on your harvest. 200 gr will put a big hole in anything it touches.

Ill never be a fan of fawn/calf tags.
Im not here to bash your hunt, im glad you put some meat in the freezer for your family and will have a story to share. Congrats on your harvest. 200 gr will put a big hole in anything it touches.
Only if it's going fast

Congrats on meat in the freezer! I think my favorite part is the 8mm, that chambering never took off but damn it’s effective. An older guy I hunted with some used one, he’s gone but I still have a couple of his cartridges in the safe!

I ran the big 8 for quite a few years. It did put the hurt on mule deer and blacktails. Damn fine elk round as well. Well done.

It is a big thumper and the Hammer 200 gr makes it pop.
The boy was using his 358 Norma Mag 250 gr Hammers.
Think we were set for Whitetail Does, Ha ha probably not but they're fun.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back