PEAX Equipment

Backyard Bucks

MinnesotaHunter

Last winter my wife and I bought a new house right on the edge of suburbia with about 3/4 acres of yard and 6 acres of woods and upland/lowland grass. At this point I have been able to get access to 40+ acres that adjoin ours as well. There are a ton of whitetails in the area, and I have seen some really nice bucks (140-160 inch) running around the area. I figured out that I have a pretty significant travel coridor on the back of our property where the deer are moving through to get to some agriculture field to our north, so I put up a trail camera to see what is moving through.

I have seen some bigger bucks out driving in the evenings, but so far results of the backyard survey are looking good. This guy or these guys are going to be bruisers next year if I can manage pass them up (Not sure if the second one is the same buck as the 1st and 3rd pics or not).

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0047.jpg

PICT0048.jpg

Do they allow hunting in city limits down there for you? Fun to have wildlife near the house. Every few years we get black bears come by our house. One time we had a sow and two cubs come by the house, there were cub tracks in my kids blow up swimming pool.

Last edited:
We can hunt in the city limits, we are actually just north of the line where you can start shooting firearms, but the guys who own the adjacent property all bowhunt and have all agreed not to, so we can draw in the deer from the farm areas north of us where they slug hunt. It should be interesting.

We used to live near Brainerd, when I was stationed at Camp Ripley, and we had all kinds of critters running around (bear, wolves, even had a lost young bull moose).

Looks like the same buck 3x,but I'd shoot him.Don't know about where you live but here in Pa he would be shot by the next hunter that seen him if I passed

Lee, we will have to make that happen.

Mixedbag- I think you are right, I think they are all the same buck. As far as it getting shot this fall, I am just not sure how much hunting is going on around here, so I really have no idea if he will make it through the fall. Initially, I think I am going to try and hold out for the 10 and 11 that I have seen glassing fields in the evenings. I might change my mind by the end of November.

I'm not sure about size, but he does look young...give him 2-3 years and wow I bet. I know it's hard to not shot one like that though. Problem is, if you don't shot him your neighbor will :) Now if you know there is a 140-160 in the area it makes waiting a little easier, but you need them on camera first to know to wait. Good luck this season...Maybe we will see each other in Andover :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCEAB
Back