Backpack rifle weight

7MM Mag built by Chad Dixon. 8 lbs even with 3 rounds, sling and scope. Feels even lighter when my horse is packin it.
Princess-1.jpg

11 lbs I have confidence in the weapon. Looking to buy new lighter rifle though. Personally im looking at Tikka lite in 300wsm and replacing the factory stock with B&C.

noharleyyet
We built that rifle with a Borden Timberline magnum action, Bartlein barrel, Jewel trigger, McMillan Remington Hunter stock with edge technology, Wyatts extended magazine, Seekins 20 min base and rings, topped with a Zeiss 4.5X14 scope. Chad Dixon at LongRifles Inc put it all together. It was built to shoot the Berger 168 VLD. Dave Kiff made the reamer. With the bullets just touching the lands, it's a shooter.
Wes
firstgroup-5969.jpg

8 pounds or so is the magic number. I see guys choose the light rifles that are a handfull to shoot at any distance, and stuff them with the highest BC bullet they can. Interesting. To me, a rifle weighing in that 8 pound area is the compromise in between carry weight, and a rifle that will shoot consistently and accurately at "distance" if one needs to. I'm not risking a shot I may need to take at the limit of my comfort level for a pound or two. I like a cartridge that moves big bullets fast in a package I can pack all day. Most of my hunting covers at least 8 miles per day. No problems yet at 51 with an 8 pounder. Personal stuff this rifle choice issue. mtmuley

8 pounds or so is the magic number. I see guys choose the light rifles that are a handfull to shoot at any distance, and stuff them with the highest BC bullet they can. Interesting. To me, a rifle weighing in that 8 pound area is the compromise in between carry weight, and a rifle that will shoot consistently and accurately at "distance" if one needs to. I'm not risking a shot I may need to take at the limit of my comfort level for a pound or two. I like a cartridge that moves big bullets fast in a package I can pack all day. Most of my hunting covers at least 8 miles per day. No problems yet at 51 with an 8 pounder. Personal stuff this rifle choice issue. mtmuley

I wouldn't exactly call 8 lbs a heavy rifle, scope included

Neither would I. But, do some reading on various forums. You'd think 8 pounds is unmanageable. mtmuley

IMG_6029.jpg

8.5 lbs. If an old timer like me(60) can carry it around the mountains all day, those young guys shouldn't have a problem...I don't even use mtn ops, or wilderness athlete. I just drink unfiltered water, and eat canned sardines, elk jerky, and kit kat bars...;)

I just got back from shooting my lightweight gun. It's a 300 Win and was shooting .458" & .559" with 180gr Accubonds. Pretty tough to beat a gun that shoots that stout of a hunting bullet that accurately.

I just got back from shooting my lightweight gun. It's a 300 Win and was shooting .458" & .559" with 180gr Accubonds. Pretty tough to beat a gun that shoots that stout of a hunting bullet that accurately.

Unless it's a .300 RUM and 200 grain Accubonds. mtmuley

IMG_6029.jpg

8.5 lbs. If an old timer like me(60) can carry it around the mountains all day, those young guys shouldn't have a problem...I don't even use mtn ops, or wilderness athlete. I just drink unfiltered water, and eat canned sardines, elk jerky, and kit kat bars...;)

Are those "mountains" in the background?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back