Backpack Deer in WY

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Great hunt. One has to be committed to mule deer hunting to go in that far and pack everything out on your backs. Congrats.

Wow, congrats on a great trip. I hope to be as fortunate next month when I hunt mule deer in Wyoming.

Excellent! Congrats to the two of you. I look forward to this annual report. You guys have that place dialed.

Details on the gun and any other 'new' gear? Neoshell still working or have you laundered the waterproofness out?

PS- You both forgot your camo. ;)
I don't know about dialed, but it'd be nice to get there. The rifle is Carl's GAP 6.5x47L, he could give you the particulars...and it is dialed. I had a pretty small opening to slip that spine shot in. Bullet was the 140 Berger hybrid target. No reason to doubt it based on this sample. I'm still shooting 136 and 139 scenars in my 6.5's, but I'll probably try the hybrids just to see how they shoot--which has been very impressive in that gap.

I didn't have to break out the neoshell this trip, it was dry and warm. I'm still a big fan though, it's my favorite shell material out there. Brooks-Range recently introduced a 13oz. neoshell jacket that's not too badly priced (compared to others) if you catch it on sale. They are still a lot of $$ for a semi-niche piece, depending on your local climate.

Aside from my pack, the tent (Hilleberg Allak) and sleeping bag (Valandre Mirage) are some of the few items I use that I'd happily pay full price for. Thankfully I don't have to, 'cause the Allak has gone up almost $300 since I bought it! I use them very hard when I use them, and neither show any sign of weakness. They are way above my pay grade up front, but I bet I get 15-20 years out of the tent and at least 10 out of the sleeping bag.

The MSR Dromedary water bag has proven really useful on hunts where water is scarce. It weighs a few ounces, but is very durable and caries 6L.

We were both wearing different discontinued models of Inov 8's--390 and 400--and mine blew out two eyelets, so I'm trying some Salomon's for this weekend. Packing a pair of trail runners for creek crossings and in the event the Salomon's don't jive with my foot.

I've had three MR packs, still have a metcalf, and had a kifaru timberline--for me the stone glaciers are the best compromise between function, weight, and durability. The others are really great too, just my preference.

Those Stone Glacier packs continue to impress me.

I got a few new jackets this year and like them all, for their purpose. A Patagonia Cap 4 hoodie made a great second layer and a Montbell Mirage down jacket impressed me, though it wasn't particularly cold.

My GAP got a refresh this year with a new Manners stock and a Bushnell LRHS, I like both in practice so far. My boots, if you can call them that, are getting close to giving up the ghost and that will be a sad day...

And pointer, as you well know, camo was not forgotten!

SM & Carl-

Thanks for the gear updates! WIth you two, I figured it was a 6.5 of some sort, just didn't know what flavor. I really need to get a good medium weight 6.5 put together. After using a 260 last year, I can't really see why more would be needed for deer/pronghorn. Mine's just a pig though. Way too heavy.

Glad to hear the neoshell is still working. I have considered pulling the trigger on it a few times, but the reports of washing diminishing it's waterproofness has me a bit spooked given the price of the items. Those Brooks-Range offerings look great, just not big enough for me. I found a place in ID that will do 'custom' neoshell items. For the price and needing them in Super Fat Sizes I've thought about giving them a shot.
http://foxwear.net/store/rain-gear/neoshell-rain-jacket/

Having switched to flatter footwear for the gym, I went on the search from some Inov8s like you guys have. No such luck... Though I doubt they are in the same category, Merrell and Keen are making a couple of 4mm drop boots. I'm thinking of getting a pair for work and see how the hold up.

Thanks for catching the forgotten camo part Carl... ;)

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back