Backpack Deer in WY

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16014

I started off a 5 day trip up high with a bow. Never bow hunted before, but I found shooting it far easier than I expected and figured it was worth a few days. All told I saw 4 6x6 bulls, 17 bucks, and had a super time.

On Day two I got to 75 yards on a nice bull in a wallow. Otherwise busted or not properly in place, I started getting distracted by deer. I watched this buck bed in the late afternoon and hustled to make a run. I knew the spot and had his bed dialed at 20 yds., but I was too late...I watched him feed away through the rangefinder.

IMG_0996_zoom_zps4100d25e.jpg

I got to 50 yds. on another decent buck but no dice. Carl came up and met me with a rifle to share. The camping weather was fantastic.

IMG_1293_zps2c270028.jpg

Bucks were a bit sparse at times but we ran into a good looking bull first thing the morning of the opener.

IMG_1016_zoom_zpsfea33883.jpg

We spotted two bucks a bit later. They were sitting tight at 200, so we had plenty of time to judge them. Carl figured he'd pass but I decided to take the larger of the two. He was directly behind the smaller buck, but with a good rest I spined him in a little window. Getting down was steep, as was getting back up.

IMG_1295_zpsab5230ac.jpg

IMG_1322_zps797d0518.jpg

After getting him boned out and stashed in the shade we focused on glassing up another buck. After picking apart the same hillside for about 45 minutes this buck magically appeared in his bed.

IMG_1023_zoom_zpsd00130bc.jpg

A few seconds later it was done and we wandered down to butcher another deer.

IMG_1407_zps886a8dc0.jpg

We got gathered up the next morning and headed out.

IMG_1419_zps063b0cbb.jpg

IMG_1040_zpsfdd7bdce.jpg

Carl can chime in with whatever else, but it was a standard issue great time hunting deer. I tried out the Stone Glacier Sky 5100 on this trip and liked it a lot. I still love the Solo, but the extra space was nice given in was a day or two longer than I usually take. Taking another backpack trip for elk this weekend, maybe I'll have a few more photos to post.

Thanks for being my 'guide'!

It was a great time, with as good of weather as you could ask for. The only thing I think I would do differently is plan for more than one day to rifle hunt, and prep my body a little better for the pack out. Winged it on fitness this year, and mostly got away with it, but that part could have gone better.

That blurry elk is a lot bigger than it looks!

good job guys, no finer place on earth than the high country of Wyoming with a mule deer tag in your pocket.

Excellent! Congrats to the two of you. I look forward to this annual report. You guys have that place dialed.

Details on the gun and any other 'new' gear? Neoshell still working or have you laundered the waterproofness out?

PS- You both forgot your camo. ;)

good job Carl and SM. I was in your country a couple times this fall. Love it!

Can't wait to see what you poke an arrow through next year after getting a taste of it this year.

-Cade

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back