Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

backcountry sleeping bag

Im sold, just purchased a Marmot Never Summer down bag, 0 degree, $209 no tax no ship, normally $298..on backcountry.com, anyone use this bag (I prolly should have asked first... :)

I use this bag. It's been a good bag for me. I have way over 100 nights in it. My lowest temperature is probably around 10 degrees. My only complaint is that its heavy at 4 pounds. I just haven't been able to justify paying $600+ for the Western Mountaineering bag I want to save two pounds.

I use this bag. It's been a good bag for me. I have way over 100 nights in it. My lowest temperature is probably around 10 degrees. My only complaint is that its heavy at 4 pounds. I just haven't been able to justify paying $600+ for the Western Mountaineering bag I want to save two pounds.

You just have to watch for deals.....bought mine brand new for $379.

Actually i himmmed, and haaawwwed, and called them back and upgraded to the MemBrain version (waterproof), worried about getting 4 miles back in and bag ends up soaked. $60 more. Looking at tents. Specifically, Big Agnes UL2 flycreek...used, ebay, hope my wife doesn't see this thread!

Anyone use the marmot never summer w/ Membrain, and/or the Big Agnes Burn Ridge 2 tent?

I picked up a mountain hardwear phantom 15 two weeks ago for $200 (brand new). I didn't need to replace my REI sub-kilo 20* but it was a good deal and I have kids that will be joining me in a matter of a few years.

I've not made the leap to elite bags, but I would consider both bags to be above entry level. That is typical of most of my equipment, not the most expensive but not so cheap I'll have to replace after two seasons.

I'd pass on the membrane... Buddy had one and it didn't breath too well and his bag would get wet form the inside.

I've been lucky that I've never had a wet bag. Not that it couldn't happen, but I don't worry that much about it. A decent tent, a dry sack, and the DWR finish that comes on most bags will keep your bag dry.

I treated my down bag a couple years ago with "dry down" or something like that from nikwax. not sure if it helped or not, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

I'm not sure relying on wearing cloths to augment your lack of a cold weather bag is a good idea. If you're soaked and cold, your bag will soon be as well. Your sleeping bag could potentially be a life saving item.

For good deals on sleeping bags I would recommed watching steepandcheap.com. You can sign up to get alerts for keywords of your choice at sacalerts.com. They have marmot and mountain hardware sleeping bags on there all the time. I bought my kelty cosmic down from them for $70 and I think its a great value. Has treated me well so far.

I have the marmot never summer without the Membrain and it has been a fantastic bag. Last elk season we had a couple nights below zero and I was warm with just my polypro thermals and smartwool socks. I haven't had any issues with my North Face Bullfrog tent leaking, so I haven't been to worried about a wet bag. I don't know how many nights I have slept in that tent during some pretty terrible conditions and it has done a great job keeping me and my gear dry. Nothing beats quality in the backcountry.

Bite the bullet and buy a Western Mountaineering down bag with a full length zipper.You can always open it up a bit if you are hot.After the initial writing of the check you will never regret it and if you take care of it ,it will outlast you!
I've never understood the value of using a quilt.What is the advantage the weight of a zipper?
Tim

I'd have a hard time justifying the membrane. I've hiked in downpours and I've been stuck in my tent for 36 hours during a big storm. My sleeping bag was never wet.

I recently dropped two pounds from my tent weight. I'm now using a BA Flycreek 2 UL Platinum. I haven't spent a night in it yet. I've only set it up once to see how it layed out. I bought mine at REI using a 20% discount coupon with my annual members savings. My first adventures in it will be next weekend looking for mountain goats.

I still think WM bags are the next level above the Marmot Never Summer. My next purchase will be a WM Antelope. Please PM any links with $379 deals for it!

Thanks I may 'graduate' to a WM some day, since I need a tent, good pack, bag, and misc gear I had to spread the cost this year. I really want a BA flycreek UL2, I know there's got to be better than the $297 out there, not even ebay has a better deal...suggestions/websites, or anyone want to sell me one and upgrade?

Last edited:
Thanks I may 'graduate' to a WM some day, since I need a tent, good pack, bag, and misc gear I had to spread the cost this year. I really want a BA flycreek UL2, I know there's got to be better than the $297 out there, not even ebay has a better deal...suggestions/websites, or anyone want to sell me one and upgrade?

Even promotive is $277 plus shipping on that unit :)

I am in the same boat and have looked at the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 with the insulated pad setup. I was thinking I would get a 15 and then one of the liners as well for colder weather. What do you guys think?
I used that bag and a non-isulated AirCore pad to well below 15º by adding some clothes on inside the bag. My next bag will probably be a Lost Ranger SL (higher quality down).

I've got one of the Mont-bell 0 degree down bags. It has served me very well over the past 4 years. The feature I like most - besides from the warmth - is the stretch fabic Mont-bell used. I'm a big guy and always felt restricted in mummy bags (just in the shoulders). If I turn around in some of my older bags, the whole bag would rotate with me. The mont-bell is much easier to move around in - and keep the bottom of the bag on the ground / cot / sleeping pad.

Not the cheapest option, and I haven't seen them go on sale that much. I paid around 450 for it. But let's relate this cost to hotel rooms. How many nights in a hotel would it take to pay for a high quality bag?

There are tricks to make a lower quality bag warmer (and last). But those tricks aren't always reliable. I used a few of them (heated Nalgene bottle in the foot of the bag, wearing more sleep layers, etc.).

If it was me - where I had an OK bag and the new bag wasn't in the budget for this trip. I would save the cash I would spend on a lower quality bag, make due in the field with my old bag until I saved up for the new one.

I've slept in the lower quality bags more nights that I've spent in my new one. But I am sure glad a saved up and bought the one I have.

Rec'd my new bag today, impressed with the loft and the storage bag to preserve the loft, im 6"1 and the reg (6') was on sale but it'll work, now i need a tent!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 379
I've got the Marmot Helium 15 degree in MemBrain and the Marmot Pinnacle, also a 15 degree bag w/o MemBrain and really like them both. The Helium weighs a little over 2 pounds and breathability with the MemBrain technology is fair - probably would go without it on my next bag - although I expect these to last darn near forever. Price has come way down on the Heliums in the last couple years (about $300-$350 now) since their new lines (Plasma and Lithium) came out. With a bag liner - which I'd want to use anyway to keep my bag from getting 'funky' - I've been comfortable with temps below 15.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back