backcountry sleeping bag

huntfishcamp

Looking for pointers, will be first DIY backcountry CO elk hunt this year, 3 of us, 3-4 nights, season 1 or 2 rifle. I have a +35deg northface "windstorm" bag, its probably on the light side of warmth for this hunt, but its just 2.5 lbs. Not excited about lugging a 5lb bag around the mtns if I can use my existing bag, a liner, and something like a $150 NeoAir Xtherm (5.7 R value) + wear warm base poly/wool layers like the ColdPruf Platinum series. My tent is a Uereka Solitaire. Suggestions, or any good deals on lightwt backcountry bags you know of? thanks

Last edited:
Acouple of questions I have...where/what altitude are you planning on hunting at? What is you cost limit? How water proof/resistant is you tent (not familiar with it)? I am not a big fan of wearing layers while I sleep, but then again I am a warm sleeper. A good pad is a MUST no matter what bag you use. Being comfy when you sleep is a BIG deal to me and I will carry a little extra weight for that. Down is definitely the lightweight option but comes with $$$ and you have to be concerned with ensuring it stays dry to be effective.

I've had good service from my Big Agnes Lost Ranger for the past decade. It's lost some loft so am looking to replace it and will go with another one from the same company. They have a specials page and some good deals can be found there.

You MIGHT be fine with a 35º bag, but I'd prefer a 10-20º rated bag. Mine's a 15º bag and using some of the tricks you're thinking of I've stretched it below that temp by a fair margin. That said, if I had my preference I would have had a bag more suited to the temp, but I didn't have the $$ so made due...

Have you considered a quilt? They are a good option and truthfully I open my bag a lot and use it that way.

sfc, camp will be 10K+ feet, and would like to keep a new bag under $200, if I need one, but realize thats going to be difficult, havent used the tent yet, plan to seal the seams, its a 2.7 lbs tent and as long as there's something to drive a stake into it should work fine, though cramped at 24" x 82"L.... sreekers, the quilt could be doable if I can compress it enough, should be light...Alpaca? Ebay has some..hmm

Last time I hunted 2nd season at 9500, it was -5 one night. I had on thermals, and a fleece pull over, along with a liner, in a 10degree down bag. It was a touch chilly. 5 days later it was 45 at night, and I would have been ok in my lighter bag. If you get weather you'll be miserable in your light bag, 35+ is the key rating, you'll probably get cold at 45degrees. The pad doesn't offer any warmth, IMO, but doesn't lower your bag rating.

Taking extra gear to stay warm in a "lighter" sleeping bag defeats the purpose of lightweight. Even with all the extras, you'll still get cold if it gets down around 10degrees.

REI is having a sale right now if you're a member. I think its 20% off one item. $200-250 is do-able, don't by cheap crap, you'll just buy it again. I've had the same Marmot bag for almost 10 years now.

SFC B, I figured for sure you would recommend adding a Woobie to his bag. The more common tern is a poncho liner. They are super light and will add 10 degrees or so to your bag. The other thing to consider is charcoal hand warmers. Pop a couple and throw them in your bag for the night, and they will still be kicking off heat in the morning for a cold glassing session.

These things and a good pad, and I would think you would be ok.

Suggest a 0 degree bag - down only. You can always unzip it. Rare that you would be hot 1st season @ 10k ft per Bambi above. Also, sell your northface and sell your tent.

Rent a bag and tent before you come, or when you get here is an idea if cost is an issue.

Agree with the other posters........being cold sucks. Get a good down bag. Like you, I screwed around with cheaper models for years. I finally bit the bullet, and bought a montbell. Light and warm. Good luck

There are a few important pieces of equipment and a good sleeping bag is one of them. I was in your same position this year and decided to finally bite the bullet on a 0 degree down sleeping bag. Getting a good nights rest is important when hunting all day. Good luck!!

I am in the same boat and have looked at the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 with the insulated pad setup. I was thinking I would get a 15 and then one of the liners as well for colder weather. What do you guys think?

I prefer a 30° bag.

I figure if I'm carrying weight in clothes either way, I might as well carry a lighter bag and layer up for comfort while sleeping.

Comfort in the backcountry is 90% mental. I've experienced warm nights sleeping like a baby at 0°, and cold sleepless nights at 40°. Both in the same bag.

Check this link out for demo big Agnes gear;
http://wearbap.com/home.php

You can get awesome prices on gear that was barely used or store displayed. My summit park(I am a big guy) 15degree bag I got about 40% cheaper than new and couldn't tell it was ever opened. The air pad holder is great and make sure you get a good insulated air pad.

As far as the boost in heat, someone mentioned hands warmers. Get the bigger 18 hour models you open one before dark on cold night throw it in bag then use it in morning till sun warms you when your hunting. Also make sure you have a warm hat to wear.

Chris

SFC B, I figured for sure you would recommend adding a Woobie to his bag. The more common tern is a poncho liner. They are super light and will add 10 degrees or so to your bag. The other thing to consider is charcoal hand warmers. Pop a couple and throw them in your bag for the night, and they will still be kicking off heat in the morning for a cold glassing session.

These things and a good pad, and I would think you would be ok.

As a matter of fact I had haji sew some velcro on my woobie down range and it IS my warm weather bag. I didn't metion it because even though the are light they are pretty bulky, especially if putting in a bag. I have a 20deg Northface syn bag. For me this was a $$ and usage decision. I got the bag on like triple clearance and only paid $35 for it brnad new. Last year in second season I slept in it @ 9500'. One night it got down to about 5deg and I pulled the woobie ove the bag and was good. This was in a tent, on a cot with a pad and the stove out. Down is the way to go if you can swing the $$$$. I will save you about 1-1.5 pounds. Th technology for keeping them dry is much better now, but the $$ is always a consideration. If you are diligent and search for a while you can find a good deal.

Good info thanks to all, anyone ever use an emergency reflective blanket w sl bag? I havnt and i know they dont breathe but i do know the REI ones claim some crazy heat retention

Last edited:
Look at the western mountaneering bags. Top notch for sure. Ultra light and warm. I have the 20 degree bag and have been just fine in all the stuff I've done with it. I've also never had to sleep in it below zero. I've gotten a bit chilly at 10 to 15 degrees but with a down jacket I think it gets me about 10 extra degrees out of the bag.

Mine weighs just over 1 lb. But they make a pretty dang light one for 0 degree weather.
I also agree with the above that you need to spend the money on a good one or you will end up spending it over time anyway buying a bunch of cheap crap......

Im sold, just purchased a Marmot Never Summer down bag, 0 degree, $209 no tax no ship, normally $298..on backcountry.com, anyone use this bag (I prolly should have asked first... :)

good work - still have and heavily use 1st marmot bag. 0 degree. Packed on every trip - my son's bag now. Never have to worry about him being cold. Its 12 years old and still lofts like no other.
tip: take good care of it, hang it when storing.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back